Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Re: broken usb port on playbook

I have the same problem with the usb port, so I bought the rapid charger as well. But how do I get the music from my computer onto my playbook as the cable uses the same usb port that is broken?? Can you do that using a wifi?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Yes, see http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26068

however you have to drag and drop into Music folder, ypu cannoy Sync on wifi with Playbook.

My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

The PlayBook weighs more as well, so it's easier to give the USB port too much force.

As said, it's a design failing of the port. It's still better than mini-USB though, that was insanely fragile!

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

New Contributor

I had the same problem. Contacted support in India, not the best of experiences. Sent the device to RIM repair centre in Germany. The device had just stopped working so I tried to charge it and it wouldnt. RIM said the USB and solder pad damaged and needed to pay £95. Told them to send it back unrepaired and bought a new one for £109. Will keep the old one for spare parts!!
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Thanks so much....I had to ping the ip address of the playbook before it would show up on my pc though.....took me a while to figure that one out! LOL

dcm
Contributor

Mine didn't work when I bought it, they fixed it free, but now 1 year later, it isn't working great. 

I agree that it must be a problem, my smart phone uses the same connection and it works great.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand why BlackBerry want to charge you for the repair if the unit is only 7 months old.

Is the warranty not valid due to you not having the receipt or something?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

gasengineer wrote:
I don't understand why BlackBerry want to charge you for the repair
if the unit is only 7 months old. Is the warranty not valid due to you not having the receipt or something?

If you break a USB port on an Apple product they rarely fix it for free. It's classed as wear and tear. Don't se why RIM should be generous but they often are in this instance. 

[ Edited ]

I see.. I'll be ultra careful with the connector on my Playbook.

Never thought that they would not repair it under warranty unless it was second hand or you could not prove when it was purchased or the like. I can understand a warranty not covering accidental damage but to refuse to repair a faulty connector seems wrong.

Could you involve Trading Standards?