Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: broken usb port on playbook

gasengineer wrote:

Could you involve Trading Standards?

If you mean UK Trading Standards, they tend to look mostly at unscrupulous local traders or retailers.

I tried to use Trading Standards  to challenge misleading waterproofing markings on a Seiko Watch from H Samuel  but Trading Standards eventually pulled out as the manufacturer were a global leading company and were complying to a world standard (however misleading). I guess the use of a global standard USB micro port would be in the same category . 

More likely that RIM may take one back as it IS a widespread problem and they have done it many times as reported in this forum. If you sound as though you are aware of "the problem" the guys at RIM may send you a FedEx packet but make sure it's a freebie.

Regarding being careful, Amz**n do a rapid charger in most countrioes for around £$€20 and with wifi sharing for data movement  there's little need for the USB. Save it for sync and backup. 

My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64Gb

Dear all,

am I right that there is no recommendation how to solve the problem with USB and the only way send to repair factory?

New Contributor
BBneni
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Once the USB ort on the playbook is toasted, you must have it repaired somewhere, unless you want to get the rapid charger and just drag and drop your files from your pc! Hope that helps

dcm
Contributor
dcm
My Device: Playbook

I have the desk top charger also and that works. So far the usb charger will work for computer syncing, it's like it's lose, so you have to be still

dcm
Contributor
dcm

I have wifi and my tablet still needs to be connected via usb to take say pictures off to my computer

dcm
Contributor
dcm

I have wifi and my tablet still needs to be connected via usb to take say pictures off to my computer

dcm
Contributor
dcm

They did fix it free, but it still is lose when you try changing say in the car
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

If the computer is connected to a wifi router you can use wifi sharing with less complication ad almost as fast. Not syncing, but copying.

The next time I use USB will be when BB10 and Blackberry Link is available.

My Device: 9800 8900

Wow :Clap: - I just took a closer look at my son's PB's USB and noticed that he must have forced the USB cable incorrectly. That made the tiny plastic to bend upward. Very carefully I was able to bend it back down so it is straight now and I can actually connect to the PC again. For months he cound't connect because he thought his connection is broken.

I'm sharing this with everyone because there is HOPE! :smileyhappy: Take a very close look at the USB connection and see if you have the same issue. (My son was actually able to force the cable into his PB so it actually looked like it is connected properly. (Now I just have to deal with the error. 4003 front camera error. - it keeps telling us that there is an app using the camera - I even reset the PB to factory and still the same - Now my only hope is that the BB10 OS upgrade will fix that.)

carolynmc
My Device: Playbook 64GB

I have also had this problem after  3 months of normal use. Really angry to be told its not covered by warranty and after reading these posts even more angry to have been told by RIM that they had never seen this type of damage before (thereby implying it must be my fault). Frankly I feel like throwing it in the bin rather than spending another penny on it. I have multiple devices with mini USB and not had this problem before after years of use. I certainly didn't try to force the connector in the wrong way round.