Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
suzychan
My Device: BlackBerry tablets

Re: broken usb port on playbook

We should try and get everybody who has the same problem to bombard blackberry at the same time to prove that this is a very common problem and they r trying just to fob everyone off with feeble excuses.:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
dcm
Contributor
dcm
My Device: Playbook

My playbook will only charge via the stand charger,

if I have to charge say in the car with that charger, no luck, it does not make the proper connection

is that the same problem you are having?\

Blackberry did fix it once, but it didn't work, so I don't know if they did anything

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
suzychan
My Device: BlackBerry tablets

I can only use the magnetic charger which cost me £30 blackberry would only fix it if I paid £77 so I didn't bother its still a rip off because the machine was still under a year old
Please use plain text.
dcm
Contributor
dcm

They did take mine for repair because it was within the 90 days, 

How many other people have the same problem 

Please use plain text.
dcm
Contributor
dcm

I feel the same, it's a playback issue, I do have the standpoint charger which worked fine but it uses a magnetic connection, so I know it's the mini charger
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Look, obviously I am going to stir up bad feelings here and make some of you upset by saying this, but so what, it's the truth - you need to take some responsibility for your own actions. I understand your frustration, but there really isn't a fault with the ports themselves. ALL Micro USB ports are fragile! On all devices - period. Trying to blame this on BlackBerry is just stupid. They didn't break your port - you did!  You forced the USB cable in wrong and damaged the port, end of story. The port itself didn't do it and neither did the cable on its own.

YES, it could be more clearly marked to help prevent inserting it in wrong. Perhaps in a future version they'll color code the port and the cables but people would still screw that up. But the ports works fine if you lined it up correctly in the first place. Mine has worked just fine since I got my PlayBook. It is good advice to get a magnetic power charger and stop using the USB port because they're fragile.

For future reference: On the BlackBerry OEM cable, you have a BlackBerry logo on it. Match the side of the USB tip with the BB logo on it to the side of the PlayBook with the white BlackBerry words (logo) in it. Think LOGO TO LOGO and you'll match them up fine. Another way to think about this is that the little teeth on the male end of the micro USB cable face downwards towards the ground.

Now none of this solves your problem of fixing the broken USB port. But chances are if you're out of warranty, you're out of luck. Your only options left are to get a magnetic charger for power and use wireless connections to your computer for file transfer.

Venting on here does nothing useful but make you look silly...it will do nothing to fix your port.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

chaosdivine wrote:

Look, obviously I am going to stir up bad feelings here and make some of you upset by saying this, but so what, it's the truth - you need to take some responsibility for your own actions. I understand your frustration, but there really isn't a fault with the ports themselves. ALL Micro USB ports are fragile! On all devices - period. Trying to blame this on BlackBerry is just stupid. They didn't break your port - you did!  You forced the USB cable in wrong and damaged the port, end of story. The port itself didn't do it and neither did the cable on its own.

Venting on here does nothing useful but make you look silly...it will do nothing to fix your port.

Well said.  :Genius:

Please use plain text.
dcm
Contributor
dcm

No who ever you are, I have owned a blackberry smart phone from the beginning and use the same mini usb, it has never failed me. 

I purchase a playbook and it never charged with the mini usb, but I also ordered a magnetic charger at the same time thank god. BlackBerry said they fixed it, but it still won't work, 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

dcm wrote:

No who ever you are, I have owned a blackberry smart phone from the beginning and use the same mini usb, it has never failed me. 

I purchase a playbook and it never charged with the mini usb, but I also ordered a magnetic charger at the same time thank god. BlackBerry said they fixed it, but it still won't work, 

It's MICRO-USB not mini. I too have a BB Smartphone, 9810 to be exact and I agree that port has never failed me either. Granted it's the same with my PlayBook. Why? Because I look before forcing it into the device. If BlackBerry failed to repair your device then they are liable to fix it until it DOES work, call them and explain your situation. Back it up with receipts and emails and they'll have to fix it. Sorry the truth stings here...it's not my fault and it's not the port's fault either. There's only one person left. BINGO! It's the operator.

Oh, and one more thing, don't use your Smartphone charger to try and charge the PlayBook. It doesn't put out enough power to do so. You need at least a 1.8A charger

BlackBerry Rapid Charger (the one with fold out prongs and ships with the device):
Input: 100-240V - 300mA 50-60Hz
Output: 5V - 1.8A

The micro-USB cable you use too needs to be a combo data/charge cable too and it won't charge properly if plugged into a USB port on a computer. Barring that, your tablet is defective - my advice, smash it. It's fun. Have a good night.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

my 8 year old children both have playbooks for almost 2 years now and their Micro-USB port is still intact

i warned them on day one they had to be careful or it can break

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.