Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: browser occasionally stops loading pages

What operating system are you using on your playbook? Is it 1.08 or the 2.0 beta?

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Dun, browser worked fine "out of the box" when I used dynamic IP.  The problems started when I did the static IP work (though I didn't immediately see the cause/effect.  Took me a few weeks of getting annoyed before I fully dove into the fix).

Sorry....doesn't help your cause any. 

Dun wrote:
@3putt

It's good to hear you had a similar problem and managed to fix it. My wifi connection automatically obtains IP address. Did the problem occur before you reconfigured your playbook for static IP or did you it only happen because you slipped a digit in entering the primary DNS IP address?

Thanks in advance

Contributor
My Device: curve + playbook

hey folks,
i,ve had the same issues. i,m not suitably impressed with the playbook so far. sorry to burst any bubbles. just the fact that it doesnt auto-capitalize and auto-punctuate while typing on this virtual keyboard is likely making you think im a moron. fact, this virtual keyboard should type like a blackberry. why it doesnt is beyond me. ok back to the topic "browser occasionally stops loading pages"...
im 3 feet from my b/g router (which is cranked up to full power on a hidden page i discovered on a website). im showing 2 bars on my playbook. the signal strength showing on the wifi status/wifi info page varies between -63 (3 bars) and -72 (2 bars). laptops positioned this close to the router or even in the same room show max strength. i can walk 100 feet to the garage at the other end of the house and still get a low 80s reading and 1 or 2 bars. so to me, there is little explanation why this playbook is not hard and fast on reading full signal strength when in the same room as the router, or in an adjacent room (beside or above).
i keep the playbook at my bedside table. its handy for checking email or web surfing before sleep or lying in bed with the morning coffee. but despite the bedroom being above the room with the router, and im talking about maybe 20-25 feet from my "full power" router, i usually have 2 or 3 or even 1 bar on the playbook. im not making this up and i see a lot of similar posts on the net about playbook wifi reception. heck, i can sit this on top of the router and not get 4 bars. ive seen 4 bars only a handful of times.
yes, i have seen the browser progress bar stop. it seems about 25-35% across. perhaps its at the send/receive point (request sent, wait, receive). i certainly dont know how theyve programmed that progress bar. like has been said, its like it just freezes, then theres little you can do. sometimes it carries on after a pause at that same point; other times not.
plus, no java. i suspect thats why google maps hangs on "Loading..."
* p.s. just happened when i opened a tab and entered "google maps" in the search bar. the progress stopped 2 1/8 inches across the 6" screen which is 35%. good initial guess on my part. it was frozen, but finally gave the error "unable to resolve host name". choices: ok, or try again. try again didnt work. i was peeved after writing this entire post and thinking id lost it. where is the copy and paste to a notepad - shouldnt that be built-in?
so i went back to setup and the wifi status page and discovered that it just resolved itself automatically. i didnt do a thing except enter into the wifi status page. if it had the ability to figure itself out, then why the heck did it give me an unsurpassable error in the first place?
ok, i plan on calling my free tech support and going over these same issues but with my luck i'll get the newbie tech agent who doesnt know where his a** is and a runaround.
but more seriously, will i keep this? i bought the full meal deal service plan at best buy so believe me i will get my moneys worth out of them and perhaps get a new one (in case what i have here is a lemon), or it might get proven to be faulty in the wifi department and it might get sent away for replacement or repair. i need to test a router that will show 4 bars on this thing consistently - not 2 then 3 then 2 then 1 when im sitting still with it!
after the upgrade to 1.0.8.6067 (latest official), i entered my Pictures viewer, and the playbook crashed. black screen. i had to do a forced restart. nice.
yes, i really wish it would do google maps, and wouldnt halt at 35% progress due to "unable to resolve host name" (which required me to nudge it along), and a solid wifi reception indication. i think i have a lemon. or, this stuff is common, or, theres a lot of lemons out there.
there are clearly a number of wifi issues with this device. hopefully it's software, cause if it's hardware we're in trouble and so is RIM. but i'm not ruling out hardware, or the existence of multiple lemons, which is also trouble.
db
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note

David,

Your B/G Router is likely several years old.

If you read my earlier posts I'm using a Linksys WRT310N (already 2+ years old).

I too was having connectivity issues but I am quite certain it was my Linksys since my laptops + Mac also get droped signals.

So I disable the WiFi in the Linksys and added a TP-Link Wireless N Access Point and since then my PlayBook has been connected without any issues. It consistently shows 4 bars signal and websurfing is very fast.

Perhaps you might want to upgrade your router?

As for Google Maps I downloaded MapApp from App World and it works fine using Google Maps.

Perhaps OS 2.0 may fix all these issues.

DC-IT
Contributor
My Device: Z10, Q10, Z30, Playbook 16 GB

1. Auto-capitalize and auto-punctuate like on a Blackberry phone.  Look for videos of OS2 at CES.  The new version of the OS has these functions, including predictive text.
2. Wi-fi strength issues.  As another poster suggests, perhaps it's the router.  I haven't had any issues so I haven't had to debug.
3. Google Maps hanging.  This has annoyed me too.  The odd bit to me is that Poynt as uses Google Maps in their application and it works, sometimes even with pinch-to-zoom, which doesn't work with the official Google Maps application on my Blackberry OS7 phone.  As suggested, download another Google Maps app.
4. Copy & paste.  Do a long press over a word and two markers will appear.  Move them to the desired positions and select Copy from the pop-up menu.  Long press on where you want to paste to Paste from the pop-up menu.
5. No need to buy the extended warranty from Best Buy.  RIM's warranty is for 1 year.  To get a replacement for a defective unit, call RIM and they'll take your credit card info.  You'll get a pending charge for a new unit while the new unit is sent to you.  You'll get a mailing label for the return of your old unit.  Send it back and they'll remove the pending charge once they receive it.
Definitely look at the features of OS2, expected in a month, to see if you want to keep the Playbook or not.

davidbaldwin wrote:
hey folks,
i,ve had the same issues. i,m not suitably impressed with the playbook so far. sorry to burst any bubbles. just the fact that it doesnt auto-capitalize and auto-punctuate while typing on this virtual keyboard is likely making you think im a moron. fact, this virtual keyboard should type like a blackberry. why it doesnt is beyond me. ok back to the topic "browser occasionally stops loading pages"...
im 3 feet from my b/g router (which is cranked up to full power on a hidden page i discovered on a website). im showing 2 bars on my playbook. the signal strength showing on the wifi status/wifi info page varies between -63 (3 bars) and -72 (2 bars). laptops positioned this close to the router or even in the same room show max strength. i can walk 100 feet to the garage at the other end of the house and still get a low 80s reading and 1 or 2 bars. so to me, there is little explanation why this playbook is not hard and fast on reading full signal strength when in the same room as the router, or in an adjacent room (beside or above).
i keep the playbook at my bedside table. its handy for checking email or web surfing before sleep or lying in bed with the morning coffee. but despite the bedroom being above the room with the router, and im talking about maybe 20-25 feet from my "full power" router, i usually have 2 or 3 or even 1 bar on the playbook. im not making this up and i see a lot of similar posts on the net about playbook wifi reception. heck, i can sit this on top of the router and not get 4 bars. ive seen 4 bars only a handful of times.
yes, i have seen the browser progress bar stop. it seems about 25-35% across. perhaps its at the send/receive point (request sent, wait, receive). i certainly dont know how theyve programmed that progress bar. like has been said, its like it just freezes, then theres little you can do. sometimes it carries on after a pause at that same point; other times not.
plus, no java. i suspect thats why google maps hangs on "Loading..."
* p.s. just happened when i opened a tab and entered "google maps" in the search bar. the progress stopped 2 1/8 inches across the 6" screen which is 35%. good initial guess on my part. it was frozen, but finally gave the error "unable to resolve host name". choices: ok, or try again. try again didnt work. i was peeved after writing this entire post and thinking id lost it. where is the copy and paste to a notepad - shouldnt that be built-in?
so i went back to setup and the wifi status page and discovered that it just resolved itself automatically. i didnt do a thing except enter into the wifi status page. if it had the ability to figure itself out, then why the heck did it give me an unsurpassable error in the first place?
ok, i plan on calling my free tech support and going over these same issues but with my luck i'll get the newbie tech agent who doesnt know where his a** is and a runaround.
but more seriously, will i keep this? i bought the full meal deal service plan at best buy so believe me i will get my moneys worth out of them and perhaps get a new one (in case what i have here is a lemon), or it might get proven to be faulty in the wifi department and it might get sent away for replacement or repair. i need to test a router that will show 4 bars on this thing consistently - not 2 then 3 then 2 then 1 when im sitting still with it!
after the upgrade to 1.0.8.6067 (latest official), i entered my Pictures viewer, and the playbook crashed. black screen. i had to do a forced restart. nice.
yes, i really wish it would do google maps, and wouldnt halt at 35% progress due to "unable to resolve host name" (which required me to nudge it along), and a solid wifi reception indication. i think i have a lemon. or, this stuff is common, or, theres a lot of lemons out there.
there are clearly a number of wifi issues with this device. hopefully it's software, cause if it's hardware we're in trouble and so is RIM. but i'm not ruling out hardware, or the existence of multiple lemons, which is also trouble.
db

Contributor
My Device: curve + playbook

dc-it and cbvinh,

thanks a lot for the pointers and advice. i do want to keep this PB, so i look forward to improvements in OS2. and i guess i'll install that new router.

any comments on whether enabling uPnP in the router actually has an effect on the PB?
is there a recommended setting or does it not matter. i've seen it mentioned in the forum. the xbox360 prefers it enabled. thanks
db
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

davidbaldwin wrote:
dc-it and cbvinh,

thanks a lot for the pointers and advice. i do want to keep this PB, so i look forward to improvements in OS2. and i guess i'll install that new router.

any comments on whether enabling uPnP in the router actually has an effect on the PB?
is there a recommended setting or does it not matter. i've seen it mentioned in the forum. the xbox360 prefers it enabled. thanks
db

One thing that I would personnally recommand for the router is to buy one that is truely 802.11N and not one that was a DRAFT 802.11N, it does make a difference, I had a D-LINK that was DRAFT N and my Bold would not work with it in N, but when I installed the Linksys E3000, which is a true N (it came out well after the N standard was official), I have not had any problem with either the phone or the Playbook, and my laptop can still use the G on it own since this router is a dual band

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor
My Device: Q10

I know this is an old thread but since it is the first one I found while investigating the issue, I'll add this...

There is a lot of talk about routers in this thread but I'm having a similar problem with the Q10 smartphone. One of the first things I tried was switching between wifi and cellular data. The problem occurs just as frequently regardless of what data source I am using.