Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
freshboi111
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: 3863836719

browsing

on the wifi only playbooks, can you use your blackberry smartphone as a modem?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

Re: browsing

I would say 'Yes'. I use my Playbook on the internet. I have non-Blackberry smartphone and use it as a tehering point for wifi. I believe that Blackberry amartphones also have that facility. I assume that your phone package allows internet.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
freshboi111

I would think so too, but I've seen forums that people have said that all other phones work except for blackberries, so I just want to confirm, are you sur!!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

freshboi111 wrote:

I would think so too, but I've seen forums that people have said that all other phones work except for blackberries, so I just want to confirm, are you sur!!

I have a PlayBook and a BB Torch 9810 Smartphone and the phone runs BB OS 7.1 and it has the Hotspot feature built in. BlackBerries running OS 6 or previous to that do not have this capability. Some carriers neuter the option to have Hotspot functionality (ATT comes to mind). My carrier, Mobilicity here in Canada, offers unlimited Internet access (and what RIM calls BIS which is BlackBerry Internet Service) in my package. You will need this BIS service in order to get tethering to work with your PlayBook and your BB Smartphone. Tethering the Playbook (or any other network capable device) is then possible. I often tether my cellphone to my laptop.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
freshboi111

yeah I know this, I'm saying, can the 4g/3g from your blackberry phone possibly be used on your playbook? Can your blackberry be a modem foor your playbook, just like it is for your laptop?

Please use plain text.