Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
vic__tor
My Device: curve 8520
Accepted Solution

can i use my playbook as a GPS without wifi niether bridge connection?

can i use my playbook as a GPS without wifi niether bridge connection?

please help me!!!

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: can i use my playbook as a GPS without wifi niether bridge connection?

An application can use GPS without WIFI or bridge, but some apps that need data in support of the application (e.g. mapping) from the Internet would need WIFI/tether. The PlayBook by itself is not a GPS device. An application written for GPS that runs on the PlayBook would work.
New Contributor
vic__tor
My Device: curve 8520

which app can I use that doesent need it???
also can i use my bb curve 8530 without gps but bridget to playbook???

Developer
jtegen

The PB app "Compass" is an application that just displays PB GPS information. It does not need the Internet or associated devices to see GPS.

If I understand your second question correctly, as far as I know, a BB phone cannot use the GPS on the PB for any purposes. Nor can the PB use the GPS of a BB/bridged phone.
Trusted Contributor
vanawful
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

I am not sure that is correct.  Unless someone can point it out, the Playbook does not have a GPS chip.  On the WiFi only version you will need to be connected to the internet.  Any GPS software will then locate based on the AP registered location.  In the 3G version you must either have a WiFi connection or a 3G tower connection.

The app 'Compass' currently does not run on the playbook.  Anyone who has been able to get it to work has done so by being connected to a WiFi AP (and crossing their fingers).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

Well when I downloaded Compass on my PB. it initially popped up asking me to grant it access to GPS.. I'll see if I can do it again and screen cap it for you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Developer
jtegen

The PB does have GPS. I use GPS applications with all network activity turned off. Both Compass and our Magellan Compass application works fine.
Trusted Contributor
vanawful
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Thank you for clearifing that.  I was looking for someone to confirm that it does have a GPS chip.  Can't find that info in the product spec or documentation.

The Compass app has never worked on mine.  Did not try the Magellan app.  Looking in the App store now and notice that the Magellan app now has a free trial.  Will give it a run and see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@vanawful, the GPS capability comes from the TI WiLink 7 chip (WL-1283) that provides all the wireless capabilities for the WiFi-only PlayBook.

Although the jury's still out on whether different units may behave differently, so far it appears likely every unit *can* work, under the right conditions, but problems in the software (OS level) or possibly in the chip itself (nobody's saying yet) mean that it's quite unreliable.

There is no need to have WiFi enabled for it, and I've used the GPS frequently now with WiFi off and no nearby hotspots, no tethering (I don't even have a smartphone), and just the GPS running.

If you pick a clear day (i.e. no big rain clouds off to the south, etc), are out in the open without buildings or other things blocking the view of the sky, make certain you are not covering up the lower-right corner of the PlayBook where it appears the GPS antenna is, run the Compass app, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes (if this is your first time using it) so it can find and download ephemeris data from each satellite, you should see it start reporting lat/long positions after that.

If you do this, and it doesn't work, try again. Then try again. Maybe try another time. Preferably do this on different days too, and possibly after a reboot. Yes, it appears to be that flaky sometimes...

I've written my own GPS recording app (no fancy map... just records the readings) and done numerous tests at this point. The readings, when they arrive, are generally exceptionally good. The main problem is getting them to actually arrive and, so far, I've found nothing that can force the issue. Even with my own app, I sometimes have to start it up and leave it alone for some minutes, 4-5 times, before I get the first reading, and there are days I've just given up and moved on. The next day it will simply work. It's largely random.

The three single biggest things you need to remember to get any readings: be outdoors away from big buildings, don't pick a heavily overcast day, and do NOT hold the unit with your right hand covering the bottom right corner (when held in the default landscape orientation with the cameras on top, that is).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

Thanks for this post - if the GPS is this sensitive, it's not very practical to use. If I want to get directions quickly while in a car, it's not very usable to wait 5-10 minutes to get a signal.

I downloaded the magellan app but could never get a signal (at least for 5-10 minutes). I'd pay for an app with all the maps +working GPS, though.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------