Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: can i use my playbook as a GPS without wifi niether bridge connection?

Chris, it doesn't always take that long, and I recommend that 5-10 minute period merely because people who have little knowledge of GPS will generally not give it long enough the first time. The time it takes to "lock" depends on how far you are (in distance or time) from where you were when you used it last. If you've never run it before (i.e. new tablet) or have travelled a long distance, or it's some days (?) later, then it may take a minute or three to get updated ephemeris data from all the satellites. Generally it will be much quicker, usually under a minute.

I've used it a few times lately. Two days ago, I used it in the car in the morning and it took 58s for the first reading. In the afternoon I used it again and it took 22s. Last night I used it in very overcast conditions and it took 4.5 minutes (274s). Just now I fired it up indoors and it took 50s for the first reading (still rather overcast), and after exiting, typing most of this, then running it again it took 15s for the first reading.

I'm not really defending it, since the reliability issue makes it crappy for most real use right now. I'm just trying to make sure the facts are straight here. When it works, it can work very well, and accounting for the fact it's not (yet) doing any Assisted GPS (using info retrieved over wifi) those first-reading delays aren't necessarily way off what the nature of the technology requires.

I do expect that an OS update (with any luck, the next one) will resolve the reliability issue and we can put most of this problem behind us for good...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@vic__tor, I'm not sure why you just marked @vanawful's answer as the solution, but I wish you'd "unaccept" that one... it's simply wrong. The only sentence in his answer that's correct is the very first one.

There is a GPS chip, and it does work without WiFi. The issues are elsewhere, and by marking that one as the answer you're just going to continue the spread of misinformation on this topic.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer

peter9477 wrote:
@vic__tor, I'm not sure why you just marked @vanawful's answer as the solution, but I wish you'd "unaccept" that one... it's simply wrong. The only sentence in his answer that's correct is the very first one.

There is a GPS chip, and it does work without WiFi. The issues are elsewhere, and by marking that one as the answer you're just going to continue the spread of misinformation on this topic.

I agree with this 100%. I really wish that @vic__tor would reconsider his choice of a "solution". Please do not give this false rumour new legs.

The GPS function that I have been testing for the last two weeks on my as yet unreleased app must be voodoo or something in the absence of a chip. My PlayBook gives all the appearances of really having a aGPS chip - and it seems to be working quite well.

Oh well...

Trusted Contributor
vanawful
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

I agree, mine is not the solution. :smileysurprised:)

I did load the Magellan and it does work, however, the requires an internet connection or it will not run. Took another suggestion to reload compass and sit out side for away. Hey, it works, but slow. Took almost 15 min to lock in the sats. My location was not ideal (hills and tall trees).

Looking forward to seeing improvements to the system and apps that use it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Hi vanawful. Magellan Compass requires an Internet connection because it uses Google maps for its mapping. Google does not allow applications to store or cache information, so this is unavoidable. Application works great when tethered to a phone and the 4G models will allow realtime access all the time. There are also mobile WIFI device that you can buy if you are in your car a lot.
bsdnix
My Device: Playbook

Magellan app does work, it needs internet conn to get maps, but GPS does work 100%. The thing is, playbook was poorly designed, it has a gps receiver placed on bottom right corner, plus it does not have some external antenna that would boost "received" signal... Generally what you need to do is: reboot the device, turn on magellan, and rotate 180 deg to the left,  so the bottom right corner is now on upper left side, and wai for 2-3min. You will see that it will show your current location... Cheers.

Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Device: 32gb playbook

Compass works great...the pb does not need wifi to spit out coordinates...Also VCMS is a wonderful app that needs no wifi but will tell you speed direction and coordinates...

Someone really needs to write an app that uses offline maps...or the ability to store tiles....I know there are a few out there but none seem to work very well...

Contributor
MrAureliusR
My Device: PlayBook 16gb Wi-Fi only, OS 2.1.0.1314

I find it interesting that jtegen says "Google does not allow applications to store or cache information," because in my experience the complete opposite is true. Google Maps should cache the one of the lowest quality (zoomed pretty far out) maps for your 'default location'. Both my Android phone and my PlayBook do so, so that when you first open the maps app, either the last place you looked at or your default location (usually a zoomed out look at the city or postal code you live in) shows up immediately.

My GPS has always worked incredibly well -- as good or better than my HTC Android phone. Of course it can take a second for it to download the satellite location data from the internet, but otherwise I've found that it gets my location in a minute or less %90 of the time. I live in a basement apartment with cement walls covered in drywall and I get a GPS reading in here in under a minute as well. I often use Google Maps on my PB while on the local transit buses here in my city, and even when you're not near a window it gets a lock quickly. As others have mentioned, the GPS seems to be pinpoint accurate -- it seems to average between 1 meter and 10 meters in the 'accuracy' reading. My phone ranges from 5-100 meters usually.

Also, the Compass app has always worked excellently for me. It gives me true or magnetic north VERY accurately and again the GPS coords show up quickly.

I love my PlayBook! (if you couldn't tell)

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

Osmand works well. You need wifi to download the intial programme and maps using your wifi connection. It can then be used as gps only.  Allow some time outside for the gps to locate on first time use. Some members have waited up to 30 minutes for gps to set. I waited 5 minutes. Thereafter, it will find within 30 seconds.  For your information, I paid for and installed Magellan Compass and never got it to work off-line.

I do not have a Blackberry mobile.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Regular Contributor
jaysus858
My Device: Z10, DC, 9810, 9800, 8520, Playbook

Why not use the Bridge connection then?

Buddy used it to video chat with me recently whilst in his car :smileyhappy:

Worked flawlessly.

PlayBook needs the wifi or a signal of some sort; ie turn off radio on BlackBerry and try to use Google Maps or something similar. won't work :smileyhappy:

Tis Jaysus!