Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
zookeeper121
My Device: Playbook and 9700

Re: cannot find android player

[ Edited ]

EXACTLY!  Why would somebody shopping for a tablet buy this product.  The only reasons I picked it was they slashed the price on a 64G model and I carry a BB9700 for work. 

Otherwise, a shopper sees a device at Best Buy that has a great front-facing and back-facing camera but it can't Skype ... ???  Why wouldn't they pick up a Galaxy Tab or similar instead?

RIM is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Regardless of how beautifully it's built, it's just a paperweight without the right software.  Sega DreamCast anyone??

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jimlad
My Device: playbook

Your expecting certain apps to be there already, are you so sure they're not in the pipeline?

Btw I don't Skype either :smileywink:
Or netflix...

I do surf, the pb is now a lot better at it :smileytongue: I'm happy.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mrjoffer
My Device: Playbook

Same! I was under the impression from demos that there would be an android player that can be used to get all the android apps. Really annoyed with RIM because they have delayed it for so long and it is clearly not just me that was mislead by demos
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zookeeper121
My Device: Playbook and 9700

I see there are quite a few people that just don't "get it"....

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note

Before OS2 the browser would paused "loading" when you open Google Maps.

Now it works in OS2 so give it a try.

No need to use Bing Maps.

DC-IT
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
livnacitlec
My Device: Curve

Jamead up seem to be overly defensive with anyone who criticizes how rim is managing the consumer experience. RIM said that os2 would allow us to use android apps. (which we could already access the hard way by sideloading).
What they should have been more clear on is that the new o's allows android developers to repackage their apps if they wish. That is a huge difference.
Secondly they have once again shown that they just "kick stuff out the door" to fend for itself. Tens of thousands of us pb owners have been googling the daylights out of the Internet trying to figureout how we get anroid apps. That is the direct result of rim communication fails all along the path to this moment.
RIM needs another kick in the associated because they continue to "not get it"!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sweiterman
My Device: Bold 9900 and Playbook

I bought my Playbook (at Full Price) a year ago.

I bought it for two important reasons:

1. To keep in touch with my family

2. To keep in touch with work

When I saw skype in both a television and print add, I decided to buy a playbook.

When I saw remote desktop in the app store, I was sure I was making the right decision.

A year later and remote desktop still doesn't run quite right, my bridge crashes and there's still no skype.

I have always supported RIM in our business, but have been made to look a fool at my company by continuing to insist employees only use rim devices.

Our company used to be all blackberries, but now we are about 80% and its dropping quickly.

I have had to repeatedly justify to higher ups why we should stick with rim, but those arguments are growing thinner everyday.

An entire year has passed and all you have to show of substance in OS2 is integrated email?

I like the updated Rim Video Chat ap, but what you are saying is that anyone I want to speak to needs to have a playbook too? Where's the desktop interface???

I have been lied to by your marketing department and repeatedly told to wait, its coming... its coming...

I just can't belive it took a year to write the code for this.

Stop blaming the developers. Rim took liberty with their logos last year in their marketing campaigns and when they did this, they took repsonsibility for the results.

If you're not going to repair relations with companies like Citrix and Skype, then you need to make sure you have inhouse aps to compete.

Don't you think so?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

@zookeeper121

Regarding #1, Angry Birds and it's other versions are not free on the AppStore or Android Market, they have limited free versions that offer a small subset of the whole game. If you want the full Angry Birds HD game on an iPad (which I own) you'll be paying $4.99 as well. Rovio is not subsidized by Apple or Google, and it's up to them to determine which platforms they release the Free demo versions for.

For #2 & #3 it would be very nice to have the the Netflix and Skype apps on the PlayBook and it would have been great for RIM to announce these being available, however at the end of the day it's up to these companies to decide if they want to support the platform or not. It would be great if RIM would try to motivate them to do it, and for all we know they did, but considering that these are typically free apps the vendors still need to look at the demand vs the cost to develop and support. It's inevitable when the two most popular tablet platforms have tens of millions of installed base between them and the PlayBook is probably around the 1 million mark after the price drop that Netflix and Skype are going to focus their efforts on the tens of millions first.

For #4, personally I was never under the impression that there would be an Android Market or something along those lines. Everything I ever read right back to the first articles about OS2 indicated that RIM would be including an Android player that would be able to run certain versions of Android apps that were repackaged and submitted to AppWorld. It's up to the developer to choose to do this, and in each case they need to consider the development and support effort required vs the reward.

All in all, compared to the original OS things are better. The native apps and the ActiveSync support are a big improvement but there's a long way to go before the PlayBook, regardless of how well it's regarded by those who own one, is in a position to compete with Apple and Android from an application perspective.
----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

sweiterman wrote:

Don't you think so?

Who are you asking?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sweiterman
My Device: Bold 9900 and Playbook

Hopefully, anyone with an ear to help prevent the collapse of this great Canadian Company

Please use plain text.