Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
mark811
My Device: Playbook

Re: charger cannot be inserted

[ Edited ]

I must admit saying half have been broken was a bit of exaggeration

I would put a guess on being quite a few of them?
A lot of posts on it, two people in this thread
Also a lot of posts where computer does not find Playbook via USB (software or broken usb pin?)
How many more would be broken if there was no magnetic charger socket?
I’m not having a moan, because mine is ok, I use a magnetic charger and wifi for transfer

Had a look at my friends Playbook with a broken USB earlier, can see why easily broken now, the socket has a metal guide for the plug to go into and on the Playbook it only goes 3 quarters of the way round, leaving it very weak to open up at the two corners of the wider side. He has been in touch with Blackberry and they have said if the pins can be straightend it's free, but if not, a quoted price just under the price of buying a new Playbook.
The 3 phones we have with a mini usb all have a complete metal guide all the way round.

New Contributor
kanderson95
My Device: PlayBook

where can we find a list or directory of places that will repair the USB charger slot/port?  And I agree my problem was due to my own negligance.

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Contributor
mark811
My Device: Playbook

mark811 wrote:

Had a look at my friends Playbook with a broken USB earlier, can see why easily broken now, the socket has a metal guide for the plug to go into and on the Playbook it only goes 3 quarters of the way round, leaving it very weak to open up at the two corners of the wider side. He has been in touch with Blackberry and they have said if the pins can be straightend it's free, but if not, a quoted price just under the price of buying a new Playbook.
The 3 phones we have with a mini usb all have a complete metal guide all the way round.

Well my friend is impressed with Blackberry, they sent him a box last Tuesday to pack his Playbook in, it was picked up from his house on Wednesday to go to Germany from UK, Playbook returned home Saturday with with a mended USB socket and best of all it did not cost him a penny.

Well done Blackberry :Clap:

New Contributor
clarinescar
My Device: curve9350; playbook tablet

I wish in the US there were a RIM place to go to. Plus I am passed my warranty. I believe the service and support in the rest of the world where Blackberry still has a dominant market position may be the big difference. Ironically I am a diehard supporter of bblerry! I ordered the mAgnetic cradle and the. Rapit charger for travel so I can keep it going! Playbook works fine otherwise.

Now I found where I can buy the usb port part. And I found a cell phone repair shop that is willing to try to switch it. But with no guarantee as they have never actually fixed a playbook. They so motherboard sautering.... Just never changed a USB on a playbook. So the part plus labor would be $65 US... Is this worth the risk? I have a 64 gb pb!!! Don't want it trashed!
Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB

[ Edited ]

Nothing ventured, nothing gained..if it doesnt work, you are just out $65..I'd say go for it..seems a pretty decent price for that repair..if they comfortably mico-solder repair cell phones, it shouldnt be a big deal to them..

Gene
iamsiaho
My Device: 16gb playbook

I had no issue plugging my playbook in until several months ago. i tried to charge my tablet and noticed the micro USB would not plug in all the way. it was loose and would rock back and forth, but would not insert enough for any sort of connection.

I have used every microUSB plug at my disposal, and the issue exists for all of them, therefor I reason the problem to be the port itself.

I do not HAVE the 40 some odd dollars to buy a microHDMI cord to charge through that, or to buy the magnetic charger. There is no good reason I can not just make this work.
I've had my playbook too long, any warenty would have expired. how do i fix this?