Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB

computer doesn't see playbook

I have seen that this is an issue for many people, so I think this particular issue is getting pretty redundant. Anyhow, My computer does not see my playbook (64 gb). It also doesn't see my Playbook (16gb) either through wi-fi or usb.

The specs for everything is:

Windows 7 (64bit, SP1)

Blackberry Desktop Software 7.1.0.41

Blackberry Device Manager 6.0.0.69

Blackberry OS 2.1.0.1526

Both Playbooks are over 1 year old

What I have done, so far, to try and resolve this is:

-checked the usb, tried multiple usb

-tried manually connecting to the playbook by entering the ip address of both the wireless and usb in the run command.

-re-installed Desktop Software and Device Manager. Did a clean uninstall by removing old registry values.

-did a security reset

-did a factory restore

-updated usb, blackberry drivers

-disabled antivirus before installing Desktop Software and Device Manager

-disabled surf-shield in AVG

-Restarted the computer with Playbook connected by usb.

-Made sure Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks,Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) is checked

-checked bios settings

-made sure that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service for Windows was checked

-made sure wi-fi and file sharing are turned on in the Playbook

-verified that it can connect via bluetooth (it does)

-ran windows fix it

-computer is actually able to see the Playbook prior to installing Desktop Software and Device Manager

-Network Sharing does see it as a local network. It has been enabled and sharing is turned on

-My phone (curve 9380) connects without any issues

Previous to the last update, both playbooks were able to connect to my computer without any issues.

Now, what I have thought of is that, somehow, the location of the playbook ip addresses are hidden from my computer. The Playbooks can connect to the internet through the router and can accept updates from blackberry updates. It can also backup with Desktop Software.

I have also downloaded and used Wifi File Explorer onto my Playbook. Through this program, my computer can see the my playbook, but it cannot access the media files.

So, I am figuring that this isn't actually a connection issue, but more of an access issue using the ip addresses. Which leaves me to believe that it is either a drivers issue, a corrupted OS update, an inherently flawed update, or it was purposely intended. I don't believe it is a hardware issue, or a windows issue.

I have been working on trying to get this fixed for the last month, no success. I do not feel like paying technical support for doing trouble shooting steps I have already done multiple times. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: computer doesn't see playbook

[ Edited ]

You dont mention installing Microsoft .net Framework which has been reported as a fix in some cases.

It is a windows problem in that you need to make changes to windows machine to fix it. Just nobody had ever pinpointed a single cause.  

Firewall would affect addresses. 

Do you really need it? Wifi does most of what you need apart from media sync and automated backup.

Also try Blackberry Link instead of Desktop Software.

Sarah.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB

I have the Microsoft.net installed, because I installed VisualBasic.net onto the computer. I have also disabled the firewall as well. I also made sure the port that allowed blackberry exception is open. I am going to see if I can connect my playbook to another computer using XP will work (sp3). I haven't tried blackberry link because I don't have the new phones. I was thinking about it though. I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions.
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

I use Link because the sync can be done for individual iphoto events from tbe host side. I use an Apple laptop for my work and never had any problems connecting playbooks, but that will not help you! 

Sarah.