Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
DavidKW
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

connecting camera to Playbook

Can I connect a digital camera to a Playbook (using a suitable cable or adaptor) and transfer the video and photograph files to the Playbook (for viewing and later transfer to PC)?

[I'm thinking of buying a Playbook - its 64G capacity would be great for this use - but there would be very little point if, as seems to be the case from what I can see on the Blackberry web site, it cannot do this basic function]

Thanks in anticipation.

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: connecting camera to Playbook

[ Edited ]

It can be done, but not in that way.

See here:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB26068&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

You would connect the camera or sd card to a computer and then transfer the files to the playbook.  You can't connect the camera or sd card directly to the playbook.

My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Unfortunately there is no direct way to do this with a playbook.  In addition to my two playbooks, I have a Samsung 10.1 tablet, which has a sd card and usb adapter (and their 7" has a built in removable sd card) .... I have used it a number of times and works well.   However, overall the pb is a the better tablet purchase imo.

For my pb, for large file storage upload/download and streaming, I use a Seagate "Satellite" wireless hard drive.  I am not sure if anyone has tried it, but perhaps a wireless enabled camera sd could connect thru to a wireless hard drive, and indirectly copy to the pb. I assume it is portability that folks want, and this arrangement may work.  It might be easier to carry around a netbook pc.  Prior to tablet life, I used my netbook on trips to transfer and store camera data.

New Contributor
DavidKW

Thanks for the prompt response - very impressive. However, the point is that I want to connect to the Playbook - if I'm going to lug a computer around with me, then there's no point in having a tablet. Still, I think you've answered the question by saying it can't be done. I'm baffled as to why manufacturers wouldn't provide such an obvious facility, but you've probably saved me £140 on what would for me be a pretty useless device. Thanks again for the prompt response.
Regular Contributor
hvacdon
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

I agree....even though most of us on this forum love our playbooks, they may not be the best solution for everyone.  The Samsung tablet sounds like a good match for what you want to do....check it out....they are a good tablet as well!

New Contributor
DavidKW

Thank you. Ironically, I have previously used my wife's Samsung 10.1 in just the way youy describe. As you say, it works, though I find having to fiddle with taking the micro card in and out of the camera and adaptor a bit clumsy. The Playbook with its 64G capacity and smaller size would have suited me better - if it only worked! Looks like I will have to settle for scrounging my wife's Samsung when I go away!
Regular Contributor
hvacdon

Well if you are already a Samsung family,:smileyhappy: check out the 7" galaxy tab....it has a built in sd slot for external storage.  I was playing with one last week.  Not as neat at a pb, but works.  Not sure of the internal storage but if it is only 16gb, it may not be of much benefit for storage of large numbers of camera files, which I assume is one of your objectives.  Why don't you just buy more or larger sd cards and review or backup the data when you get home?:Rolleyes:

New Contributor
DavidKW

Well, I'm really impressed by all the prompt, helpful replies. :smileyhappy:  Perhaps I should explain.  When I go off on my paragliding holidays I use a helmet camera to take video and large numbers of stills pictures.  It would be really good at the end of each day to transfer the files to a device where I could review them and clear the card in the camera for the next day.  I thought a tablet would provide me with

a)    an entertainment centre with books and music for bad weather days

b)    a means to video chat with 'er back home

c)    a store for the video and photo files, and a way of looking at them

all in one compact, light form - which is very important to me when I'm travelling alone.

A laptop will do this, but I don't want to carry around more than I have to.  The Blackberry Playbook looked like a perfect solution (especially with 64G storage for HD videos) at a lower price than rivals, but it seems that it doesn't really do b, and doesn't do c.  With the Samsung Galaxy 10.1, I can do a and b, and , with a bit of fiddling, c.  I'll have to take a look at the 7".   Shame, as the Blackberry looked really good.  :smileyfrustrated:

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

There are wifi sd card readers. 

http://www.airstash.com/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
DavidKW

Very clever little device.  I never cease to be amazed by modern technology.  Thanks for the pointer  - it's been very interesting looking into this.  All the same, I think the best solution for me will be to connect to a Samsung using a connector which I have got for about £2.  It's a pity that there doesn't seem to be any similar low cost adaptor or cable for the Playbook - one day perhaps!