Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

saffron
My Device: BlackBerry 9790

connecting tablet to the television

How do you connect your tablet to the television?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hutch0707
My Device: Playbook

Re: connecting tablet to the television

I have a 6 foot micro HDMI cable I purchased from Frys Elctronics store for about $7. Just connect it to the TV's hdmi port and you're set.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

hutch0707 wrote:

I have a 6 foot micro HDMI cable I purchased from Frys Elctronics store for about $7. Just connect it to the TV's hdmi port and you're set.

Ditto, works fabulously!

And what a great picture.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

Hi SAFFRON,

Like Hutch just said, you connect with a microHDMI cable. Are there other things you need to know about how to connect it? Well, just in case you have never done this before, here are some tips on how to avoid puzzlement while you go through the process:

STEP 1:

Please do what HUTCH said and buy a microHDMI cable.

However, here are a few roadblocks you might run into after you rush out to the store (which I did do!): 

STEP 2:

Many people, including people selling these cables in the BIG brand-name electronics stores don't always know the difference between a MICROhdmi port and connector and a MINIhdmi port and connector. One reason for this is that some prominent stores are out of the BBPB stock and you can only order your BBPB online, so they don't get to see a real one often! Two guys in a brand-name store I won't name insisted that they had just the thing (a MINI)! Luckily, I had brought my specs and my BBPB and was able to get them to lead me to the right package.

I bought a ROCKETFISH 8 foot (2.4m). Even 8 feet is not really long enough to allow you to reach your favourite couch (unless you like the front row seats in a cinema, which I don't). So consider buying an HDMI  EXTENDER PLUG and a further 12 FOOT cable. Now you have 20 feet! Hey, now you can lie in bed and play the thing in the living room even!

Note: the connectors are GOLD-PLATED. Always buy GOLD-PLATED connectors for any device rather than the cheaper and less reliable other metals.

Step 3:

Turn your BBPB upside down and find the HDMI port on the BBPB, which is the LEFT-MOST port (there are 3 ports and this one is on the OUTSIDE of the 3) as you look at the bottom of your BBPB. Be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy careful not to damage the connector ---- so look for the logo signage on the connector and face that so you are seeing it as you connect (smaller part of opening is down, in other words.

Step 3:

Now that the small end is attached, go to the TV and attach the larger end of the cable to its HDMI port.

Step 4:

Reconfigure your TV, using its menu, from your current setting of AVI or HDM3 to now read PC (else you will get a blank screen and swear at your BBPB).

Step 5: On your BBPB, go to SETTINGS (TAP the little wheelie thing in the top right corner after swiping down) and make sure the following settings are as follows:

--------- DEFAULT TO MIRROR MODE = ON (it gives you the choice of on or off)

--------- ASPECT RATIO = FILL or NORMAL or STRETCH or ZOOM (to your liking, follow the USER GUIDE)

--------- CONNECTED TO = this will tell you if you have connected correctly or if you are still not connected

--------- DISPLAY MODE = see USER MANUAL.PDF

--------- HDMI AUDIO = make sure this is set to ON (it gives you the choice of on or off)

Step 6: Invite all your friends over and show them all your vacation movies... NOT!

P.S. If you are showing PPTs on a TV, you can see them in PRESENTATION MODE, which is a feature of the BBPB which I find to be very productive, efficient and quite cool.   

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
susgeek
My Device: PlayBook

Ditto the above post for the specific settings.

I purchased this specific product:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004286VMW/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_wE88qb1BDT1H9

It works flawlessly.

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

most connecters that look like gold are just anodized coloring to fool you into buying them

most modern connectors use a non corroding metal, yes cheaper ones dont

I have not bought a gold conenctor in over 10 years and not have had any issues with them.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

[ Edited ]

Well, it seems like, once again, I am going to have to correct some information posted on this forum, for the benefit of anyone who has been misguided about connectors for a long time. So here is some educational information on the conductivity of metals and electrical resistivity.

One needs to have some knowledge of the Periodic Table to understand this of which I speak.

Firstly, the second-most conductive metal on Earth is copper (Cu). However, we don't want to use Cu in connectors, just in electrical wires. If you use it in a connector, it tends to oxidize, producing Copper Oxide (for the layman, that is why you see so many churches with green roofs). So, "no" to Cu for connectors. But yes to Cu for copper wires, which we can protect from the oxidation process with insulation (just to explain that further for you). Copper is cheaper than Silver, the best conductor, so that is why we use it extensively in electrical wiring.

Secondly, the most conductive metal is Ag (Silver, to the layman). Yet again, you don't necessarily want to use Ag in a connector, though it can be used in extremely sensitive environments. One must consider what happens to Ag: Silver Nitrate, which is perfectly okay as a conductor too, of course but presents other problems. So accept that Ag is simply not the best "precious metal" to use for connectors. 

Lastly, we come to the third most conductive metal on Earth, which is GOLD. Now Au is such a fine metal with uses that many people cannot fathom. For example, it is by far the best "metal" (actually it is a "precious metal") to use on a connector because of (1) its electical resistivity being so low, and thus its very appropriate conductivity for contacts; and (2) its reistance to corrosion.

Now, granted, you could use aluminum. But you don't want to do that. That is to say, Al can burn as it tends to arc in certan configurations. So "no" to aluminum.

Oh, of course, there are other metals which conduct electricity. However, the plain truth of the matter is, there is no better metal for a conductor tip than GOLD.

So if you can afford it, buy only a gold-plated connector. If you can't, it's best not to comment at all.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

wonder1-47100 wrote:

Well, it seems like, once again, I am going to have to correct some information posted on this forum, for the benefit of anyone who has been misguided about connectors for a long time. So here is some educational information on the conductivity of metals and electrical resistivity.

One needs to have some knowledge of the Periodic Table to understand this of which I speak.

Firstly, the second-most conductive metal on Earth is copper (Cu). However, we don't want to use Cu in connectors, just in electrical wires. If you use it in a connector, it tends to oxidize, producing Copper Oxide (for the layman, that is why you see so many churches with green roofs). So, "no" to Cu for connectors. But yes to Cu for copper wires, which we can protect from the oxidation process with insulation (just to explain that further for you). Copper is cheaper than Silver, the best conductor, so that is why we use it extensively in electrical wiring.

Secondly, the most conductive metal is Ag (Silver, to the layman). Yet again, you don't necessarily want to use Ag in a connector, though it can be used in extremely sensitive environments. One must consider what happens to Ag: Silver Nitrate, which is perfectly okay as a conductor too, of course but presents other problems. So accept that Ag is simply not the best "precious metal" to use for connectors. 

Lastly, we come to the third most conductive metal on Earth, which is GOLD. Now Au is such a fine metal with uses that many people cannot fathom. For example, it is by far the best "metal" (actually it is a "precious metal") to use on a connector because of (1) its electical resistivity being so low, and thus its very appropriate conductivity for contacts; and (2) its reistance to corrosion.

Now, granted, you could use aluminum. But you don't want to do that. That is to say, Al can burn as it tends to arc in certan configurations. So "no" to aluminum.

Oh, of course, there are other metals which conduct electricity. However, the plain truth of the matter is, there is no better metal for a conductor tip than GOLD.

So if you can afford it, buy only a gold-plated connector. If you can't, it's best not to comment at all.

Again, more useless dribble, your metal/element theory, that has little to do with the OP's question and a rude comment to a long time poster who spends much time here helping others.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Dubious science too. The problem with connector pins is surface oxidation not conductivity. Chrome plated steel can be just as effective, even though as a power conductor you would not choose it. 

You cannot get surface oxidation with GOLD. It is unfortunate that most people don't realize that.... 

Therefore, if one follows properly what I said in my post, one will learn a lot about metal science and connectors and not make the mistake of thinking that a connector of another metal is just "as good as GOLD" (a common phrase we use to describe something that is perfect). 

Please use plain text.