Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
jcfcuk
My Device: playbook 64gb
My Carrier: 07900437732

connections external hard drvie

Hi

Well the good news is I got a blackberry playbook for Xmas, as I wanted however I did not realise even after I had looked it up on the net, how limited it was, I have since done more research, and I now understand you can sideload android apps which helps, but the mian reason to getting the tablet was to replace my current laptop, I have got an external hard drive where I keep all my picture music and files to keep them safe if my laptop was to ever go wrong, I can connect my bb to my laptop and tranfer files this way but I can not seem to connect my external hard drive, after reading the information off the internet it would seem this connection is not possible, the only way to do this would be to jailbreak the system and install things which is not ideal and as I understand it would void the manacatures warrenty, so is there a soulrion to this issue I would be very happy with the product if I could use it. at the moment it seeming pretty worhtless and limtied.

James C

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: connections external hard drvie

Not at the moment. There is no universal USB hosting.

Like all the things we would really like to make Playbook perfect, we tend to say that "it may be available in BB10 operating system but not now"  

If 64GB is not enough then you should not really be thinking of using a tablet as your main workhorse.  It's quite possible to sync music by Playlist and sync reduced size photos (I have 10,000 family pics on mine that takes up 5GB at most)

My Device: playbook 64gb
My Carrier: 07900437732

Thank you for the reply

if it is possible on the BB10, would it be avalible to upgrade, or would it mean buy a new device with it on

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hutch0707
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Phone Service

Not sure if any tablet does what you are looking for. I have a kindle fire and iPad as well and neither will connect to an external drive for storage. Now I can connect them to pc or my Mac and transfer files between them as I do with playbook.

I had a 16G playbook for a year but found myself always adding and removing files due to lack of storage, but since getting my 64G a few months back I have not used more than 60% of the memory. I travel a lot so load a number of files and movies because it's easier to use playbook on plane then laptop for editing docs and watching movies. People tend to lay back in their seats on planes and that jams into the laptop space behind seats.

I currently have over 300 docs, 200 pics, 12 movies, and 172 apps loaded. Oh and musical well.  So it serves mewell.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cr8tive_leo
My Device: Playbook - 64gb - wifi
My Carrier: Crapdo - aka Fido

[ Edited ]

I have a 500gb external drive I use with my Playbook. 

WIFI external drive.

Don't say it can't be done, just do it in non traditional ways. The external drive is battery powered too, so you can use it on the go. Google external wifi drive. THere are 3 or 4 different manufacturers, Seagate, Western Digital, Pqi and some other obscure names. 

Cheers.

topic here.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/New-WiFi-Ext-Hard-Drive-for-Tablets-PB/m-...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hutch0707
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Phone Service

Great! I will try one of those when I need another external drive.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

cr8tive_leo wrote:

Don't say it can't be done, ......

Can't be done with his current drive which is what he asked about.

My Device: Playbook - 64gb - wifi
My Carrier: Crapdo - aka Fido

Use a wifi router with usb port. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.