Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK
Accepted Solution

development mode password

I wish to enter the development mode and it asks me for a password? I cannot remember the password. I must have done it on the first look at playbook.  Is there a way to obtian the password please? I am on 5 of 10 try's and do not wish to be locked out.

Hope you can help.

regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: development mode password

rossjackson01 wrote:

I wish to enter the development mode and it asks me for a password? I cannot remember the password. I must have done it on the first look at playbook.  Is there a way to obtian the password please? I am on 5 of 10 try's and do not wish to be locked out.

Hope you can help.

regards

Ross

It's the same one you use to login to your PlayBook if you have set a password to do so. It is also the same one you use to turn on Wi-Fi file sharing and/or File Sharing in general.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

No, no, when you enter Development mode it is asking you to set a password!

You can put anything in there and it will prevent anyone else getting to the guts of the Playbook whilst you are in dev mode. But please use one you can remember so, as Chaos suggests, use the normal Playbook password

I was wrong, mine uses one which I must have set previously and it insists on that one. If I use any other one it gives me 9 more tries. I use the one I also use when playbook needs to come out of standby. 

________
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Thank you Chaos and Troy Tempest for your prompt replies.  The box displayed asks for the password so one must have been set. I have never entered the development before so it must be as Chaos suggests, set as the playbook etc. However I have tried that password with no result. Whatever password is in, is none that I know. Any more advice please.

When I originally purchased the playbook it automatically updated and then last week I updated to the new o/s. There have been no issues that I am aware.

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

If you have genuinely not set up dev mode and you have always used the same PB password, I suspect the only way out is to backup and then reload OS by security wipe or by debrick on USB, like the post below....

________
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

Knottyrope

God, you are good. Followed as instructed. Have not re-installed. Prefer to enter my data myself. All appears well. 12 out of 10 for your instructions. 

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Hello again. Just spent a happy few hours installing. However I noticed that 'video chat' was not available so I restored from the desktop. This unfortunately restored the faulty password in development. So I am back to square one.

I am not bothered as I will never tinker with the system anyway. It would have been good to have everything correct though. I have enjoyed the exercise (with trepidation). All the apps were re-installed with their contants. Hmmmm?

Regards and thanks

Ross

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

This is too late now but I would have personally tried:

Settings, Security, password, then select to turn it off...

Remove all passwords for the device and then if that worked, try to set a new one.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the comment again Chaosdivine. My bottle has gone now (English for - 'don't want to tinker just in case').

I can't see how changing the password will work as the reboot did not have 'video chat' and that is the programme is use a lot. The only way to get it back was to restore.

Looking forward to BB10 in the new year. Hoping it will have 'skype'. 

Been a good learning curve.

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.