Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
cathyaz
My Device: torch and playbook

downloading movies

Can I download movies on my Playbook so I can watch them later on a plane.  If so, what is the site I can download from.

Regular Contributor
scocam
My Device: Playbook 16

Re: downloading movies

[ Edited ]

Good question,

...you can download a movie from just about any site tthat offers downloadable movie services such a itunes...

the problem is DRM the rights management system that is embedded in every movie download. In order to play an itunes movie there needs to be an itunes app for playbook and there is none. This applies to every other site...same for for streaming such as Netfilx there is no app fro Playbook to allow for streaming netfilx videa also netflix requires Silverlight (microsoft software) in order to run. and there is no silverlight available fro the PB.

Basically all you can downlaod and view area ny movies you taken yourself witha video camera...You can thank RIM advertising for that!

eastcoastcreative
New Contributor
Bretzky
My Device: Torch 9800

This has been most frustrating and disappointing as I too was hoping to use my PB to watch movies on flights.  I find it interesting that you can make digital copies from most DVD's and using Windows Media player I can push them to my Torch and watch them. But this is not yet possible on the PB (at least this has been my experience). I have a copy of the Dark Knight on my 9800 and it looks great but I want to use the bigger screen of the PB.  

I cannot find any mention on the web of anyone successfully doing this, nor can I find any useful step-by-step instructions other than promo's for DVD ripper software.  I would like to hear from a PB user who has succesfully done this.  I would trust someone from this community easier than some blog front of a software company selfishly promoting their application.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

at the BBWC conference they showed a future app to get movies on playbook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
cathyaz

Thanks,  I returned my Playbook to Best Buy.  I loved the size, the screen, etc. but since I have ATT and couldnt tether - it was of no use to me. 

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

To download Youtube videos, there has been published a website for converting the Youtube link to make a downloadable link from your Playbook.

http://playbookrevolution.com/tube/

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Bretzky

Knottyrope, do you know the name of the app mentioned at BBWC and it's estimated release date?

New Contributor
Bretzky

Also, I'm most interested in playing the digital copies of movies I already have as opposed to buying from an online store. Did they mention if the app plays movies already downloaded from itunes or converted from Windows Media?
BGF
Contributor
BGF

You can tether. i have a Torch 9800 from AT&T and downloaded the Bridge software from a site not AT&T to my Torch. I configured Bridge on my Playbook and have succesfuylly tethered to my Torch for 3G connection. I was skepotical of Bridge when it was announced but it works well. My wife is now asking for a Playbook to tether to her Blackberry for email. 

New Contributor
cathyaz

Wish I would have talked to you before I took my playbook back