Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Hemisynch
My Device: BlackBerry 8900 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: error code "Couldn't resolve the host name"

I've been getting this error since we brought our PB's home from Staples where we paid them to set it up.  Internet worked like a charm there.  I've called my service provider and they can see the PB, it shows that it's connected, but when I open a window 99% of the time, I get that error.  The other 1% I get the google home page and from there I get the error.  If it's a DNS error, just how would I resolve this? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

It seems you don't have a dns server listed in your router settings setup. What router do you have make and model. Who is your service provider. Check to see if your router has the dns server setup.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hemisynch

We have a Motorolo Surfboard.  Our service provider is Access Communications in Regina, SK.  I could call them and ask them about the DNS server setup.  I'll try this tonight or tomorrow and let you know if any success.  For the time being I'm gonna take it to a McD's or a coffee shop and test the wifi there.  BlackBerry says if it works there, then its my router, if it doesn't work there, it may require a security wipe and a reinstall (booo!).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hemisynch

Alright, I went to a coffee shop with free wifi and well, the PlayBook surfed the net like a breeze.  Super fast too!  This is what I wanted it to do.  Too bad it still won't do it at home, but NOW I know that it is not the Playbook entirely at fault, there is something wonky with the internet at home.  I have a separate router that is not unboxed (D-Link N300) perhaps I'll try hooking that up and see what it does.  If it works, then I have a job of work to do, entering the password into a desktop, another laptop, 2 blackberry phones, a playbook,  a wii and a wireless printer.  *sigh*  Anybody here ever try to type in a 26 digit code into a Brother MFC-490?  It ain't fun.. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dalexop
My Device: Playbook 32 GB

Re: error code "Couldn't resolve the host name" ** New in OS 2 only **

Hi folks,

I've discovered the same symptons which started after my OS Upgrade on the Playbook.

The network functions worked well prior to that.

I have two Cisco Linksys Routers at home, completely different models.

The Web Tool always works the first time and loads the page.

When you enter the next site or page, it stops responding.

If you drop the current Wifi Connection and jump to another SSID, it works again for a while, then stops working.

If I put the Playbook in Standby, wait 5 minutes, and start it again, it works for another short timeframe.

It's as if the Playbook keeps loosing it's DNS stack.

Note" This is the Only Device in my house that behaves like this.

Laptops. Android phones, iPADs, and PS3's all share the same Wireless Routers with no problems.

Anyone else see this odd behavior ?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dalexop

Interesting Development..

I spent a few hours last night testing WEP connectivity instead of WPA2.

WEP would not assocaite at all. There seems to be configuration issues between the Router and Playbook.

However, my symptoms were very consistent: Load the Browser once and it would work from 1 to 3 pages, then freeze with the "Hostname" error.

Last night I deleted all saved wireless networks from the Playbook.

Once this was accomplished, I connected to my original wireless access point using the original SSID and password. ( WPA2 Personal as well )

The browser continued to work for the next 30 minutes.

This was a step in the right direction !

I'll continue to test and post the results here.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dalexop

Hi folks,

Great news, testing thus far is still successful.

The Wireless Connection for WPA2 Personal continues to work for the browser and other internet apps.

I am really not sure whether this was an issue with the introduction of release 2 or the accumulation of more and more saved Wireless Networks, which eventually exposed a bug in the operating system.

:smileysad:

Lesson learned, if you are having intermittant Browser / internet apps connection issues, clean up your Saved Wireless Networks. ( Note: this might not be your specific problem, just a troubleshooting step to rule out )

Best of Luck,

Derek

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hemisynch

I had to call BlackBerry help desk and she had to escalate the call to their help desk which pointed the way to the solution.  My internet provider needed to adjust the security settings from WPA personal to WPA-PSK I think.  Has worked like a charm since and that was two weeks ago.

Please use plain text.
LazyKitty
My Device: Playbook 4G LTE & Torch 9810
My Carrier: Viettel

When ever I restart my PB 4G, I can use 3G to surf the web very well.
But the error msg 'couldn't resolve the host name' appear when:
1. I left my PB for a while (maybe 1 hour), or
2. I surf the web with wifi for a while (maybe 1 hour), turn off (or go out of range) of wifi
P/s: Wifi is working very well with my PB
Is there any one can help me with this?
Thks a lot.
And my PB os is still 2.0.1.668 and No updates is available?
Please use plain text.