Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
slyeye64
My Device: curve 9350, playbook

extra memory and internet connections usable

Hi all,

I am anxious to purchase a Playbook asap.  The only one I can find in stock is the Playbook with 16 GB memory.  I am wondering if this will be enough to use for business purposes.  I need to take my multidtude of reports with me on the road.  I am currently using my laptop which is way bulky and a beast.  I am wondering what anyone thinks about the amount of memory on the playbooks.  Is it such a big dfeal that I should wait for the higher GB's?  Also, if you get the 16 GB's can you add memory to that? 

As you all can tell - I am not very technically apt. 

I am also wondering if a person could use an internet card to connect to the  internet instead of having to wait for a WIFI connection?  I am currently using a Sierra Shockwave through ATT&T.  Thanks so much for all help!

Slyeye

Eyes wide shut, Slyeye
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: extra memory and internet connections usable

You can get a wifi SD card reader to some what expand the memory from 8 gig up to 2 TB

wifi enabled SD flash drive reader

http://www.airstash.com/#home

specs

http://maxell.com/airstash/images/A02%20AirStashr%20Sell%20Sheet%2012.2.11a.pdf

A mifi router will work but it is an extra dataplan to maintain. You might also want to look into getting a BlackBerry phone for the use of BlackBerry Bridge so you can surf on playbook via bluetooth, emails, and more if your current phone can not be a wifi hotspot.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
kgdsc
My Device: playbook and Curve
My Carrier: o2 ukkris

I have been waiting and waiting to have the ability to link an SD card to my play book for photography.

can anyone verify that the airstash works on a blackberry playbook.

Play.com: a UK supplier linked to on the airstash website states it is not compatible with Blackberry?

it not cheap so dont want to splash out on one if its not going to work.

please help?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
slyeye64

How is 16 GB's comparable to my lap top, do you know?  I think the laptop has 3 GB's memory.  I really am not savy at this stuff as you can tell!

I have a blackberry Curve 99350 but do not use it to go online because the ATT package is too expensive and I grandfathered in on unlimited minutes and texting.  This is why I bought the Sierra Shockwave for internet access for my laptop.

I was just wondering if the Shockwave would work for the playbook to get internet  because I already am paying for that plan.

The one you suggested, the airstash - I can't tell if that is to get the internet or just for extra memory.  For extra memory that would be great!  I just don't need to pay for another internet plan!

Do you think it is worth it to wait for the 32 GB tablet?  or even the 64?

Thanks so much for helping of the unsavy one!  :smileyhappy:

slyeye

Eyes wide shut, Slyeye
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
slyeye64

Re: extra memory and internet connections usable - airstash

I do not see where it is compatable with the playbook as well!  You mentioned photography?  I have photographs I need to keep for evidence....and documents.  So I need to know what size Playbook I need to get!  I am thinking 16 GB's will not be enough?  Can I ask what you have?

Slyeye

Eyes wide shut, Slyeye
Please use plain text.
kgdsc

hi Slyeve

If your laptop has 3GB memory it OLD, or do you mean RAM. 

Look at your SYSTEM properties in control panel if on windows. see what RAM you have.

RAM Very different than the 16GB stated on the playbook memory specs.

If your lap top has 3GB harddrive and you have never filled it you will have no problem with the space on the playbook unless you want to carry round lots of movies.

As far as i know you cannot easily change the memory in the playbook.

The airstash sound good but UK supplier says it does not work with playbook, I REALLY hope im wrong about this.

Please use plain text.
kgdsc

I have the 16GB version.

got it free with a contract upgrade, when they were fairly new out.

I really love my PB but it really "$£%^%&^* me that it does not have an SD card slot.

I have looked and it is possible but not if you want to keep getting the upgrades form BB.

I would like to be corrected on this is anyone know how.

I even have a Card reader and USB to micro USB adapter but cart get it to work YET?!

I keep about four movies, hundreds of photos and a few hours of music on it on it .

The camera is good on the PB but not if its dark, even a little bit dark.

NO FLASH.

Neither does my BB9300 which again is wrong, but was the only phone they would give me with the free PB, old phone will not opareat BB bridge.

Please use plain text.
kgdsc

Re: extra memory and internet connections usable - airstash

if you want to take photos with your phone for evidence?

or with the playbook (in good light)

Then your ok.

if you want to transfere photos from your camera to you playbook you will still need your Laptop or PC.

If you want to do this buy a Tablet with an SD card slot and upgrade memory forever, with new SD cards as needed.

IF you can see or read your documents on your phone then you can see it or use it on the PB.

Although not music, which is strange.

I can bluetooth music from my phone to my car using a BB in car kit but not to my PB?

Please use plain text.
kgdsc

Re: extra memory

[ Edited ]

sorry double clicked.

how do i remove this?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
slyeye64

Hey Kgdsc,

Thank you - and all for these answers!  Yes, I did look and it is RAM!  My laptop has 3 GB's of RAM.  What I am understanding is that there is no real good way if any to increase the "space" on the Playbook?  If so, I think I would be better off going to the 32 or 64 GB's on the tablet.  I do take a lot of photos needed at the finger tips.

Does you know if you can print off the tablet?

I am trying to figure out if I can hook to the internet thru my Sierra Shockwave device.  This is what I use right now for my laptop when I am away from any hotspots!
  It uses a USB port to connect.

I have been looking online for instore availability, even the BB site is out except for he 16GB one.  So far haven't found any in-store either.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Slyeye

:Detective:

Eyes wide shut, Slyeye
Please use plain text.