Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
blackjacked
My Device: BB tablet 64g

faulty USB port

BB tablet failed to charge..tried all suggestions such holding volume + and -,placed on fast charger etc. to no avail.Finally I was fed up and sent it to BB repair depot in Lavigne Tenessee.Just received a call from "Jose" to inform me the USB port is damaged/disconnected and this is not covered by warranty..I have had the unit  for 8 months and used it sparingly as I use it when traveling or when on my boat. Now the good and bad news.......the good news... it can be repaired!! Wow...the bad news is the repair cost is $149.00....what a rip and I let "Jose" know in no uncertain terms....it is no wonder RIM is in trouble...at $149.00 I can buy another BB tablet but hey...I was born at night BUT not last night>>>>I will never again purchase a BLACKBERRY DEVICE and I will crow to the world the misgivings I have of ever entering their world. Never again will I pay such a high price for a paper weight that will not light up. Jim of RIM has bamboozled me for the last time.......RIP RIM

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: faulty USB port

A suggestion: Have them return it to you. The USB was likely bent. Others have straightened the bent connection and continued using the PlayBook. The connection was likely bent by plugging the charging cable in the wrong way.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zxenith
My Device: Playbook

Just use the standup charger,  does not need the usb port to charge thats what I did, everything else via wireless.

However I agree, rip off 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Original_Lucy
My Device: BB ZED 10

The USB becomes faulty by repeated attempts at plugging in the charger upside down. The Berry symbol needs to be up, and many people have made the same mistake therefore, damaging the usb. I bought myself a rapid charger and only use the usb for connecting to laptop. Have them send your PB back and get a rapid charger for $29 from amazon or a desktop charger for $19 (last time I checked) and transfer files over wifi. There is also a program in app world called nexus that, if on other playbooks, lets you move files between the two. Good if you have more than one PB in the house. So, stay calm, no company covers a broken usb port, get yours back and spend a considerably less amount on the magnetic chargers.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

blackjacked wrote:

BB tablet failed to charge..tried all suggestions such holding volume + and -,placed on fast charger etc. to no avail.Finally I was fed up and sent it to BB repair depot in Lavigne Tenessee.Just received a call from "Jose" to inform me the USB port is damaged/disconnected and this is not covered by warranty..I have had the unit  for 8 months and used it sparingly as I use it when traveling or when on my boat. Now the good and bad news.......the good news... it can be repaired!! Wow...the bad news is the repair cost is $149.00....what a rip and I let "Jose" know in no uncertain terms....it is no wonder RIM is in trouble...at $149.00 I can buy another BB tablet but hey...I was born at night BUT not last night>>>>I will never again purchase a BLACKBERRY DEVICE and I will crow to the world the misgivings I have of ever entering their world. Never again will I pay such a high price for a paper weight that will not light up. Jim of RIM has bamboozled me for the last time.......RIP RIM

Force a connector into any other device the wrong way round and see if they fix it for you for free. 

________
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zxenith
My Device: Playbook

Btw I never plugged mine in backwards or used the PlayBook while plugged in, and the port still failed.

Same with my second PlayBook same with 3 units in the  office...

It's a flaw for sure, so much for a warranty against defective workmanship.

Last unit after only 2 weeks.

It obvious if you Google this issue that it's got nothing to do with inserting the plug in backwards. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
blackjacked

Zenith...I agree with 100%..I never forced mine or tried with any effort to plug it in upside down..it is cleary a flaw in the production of some these units. I stand by my statements of yesterday. I will never by BB products again after the warranty folks denied me.............

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

zxenith wrote:

Btw I never plugged mine in backwards or used the PlayBook while plugged in, and the port still failed.

Same with my second PlayBook same with 3 units in the  office...

It's a flaw for sure, so much for a warranty against defective workmanship.

Last unit after only 2 weeks.

It obvious if you Google this issue that it's got nothing to do with inserting the plug in backwards. 

If you feel genuinely aggrieved take them to your free consumer court if you have one.  (Small Claims Courts in my country). Don't you have Class Action lawyers over there  to force a recall?

For every one playbook genuine failure there are probably many wrong-way-up failures, but swear it in court and you may have a chance. 

Apple introduced water sensors in their laptops to "prove" that some failures were due to water ingress which is very difficult to prove after it had evaporated.  Some people will always try it on to get a free fix for their own misuse and it spoils it for the rest.

________
Please use plain text.
kmlee
My Device: playbook

Same thing happened to me. I will never purchase BB again. I am so angry. Had my Playbook for 1 month and it is a peice of **bleep**.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
blackjacked

Ah come on now kmlee you know you forced the USB connection or tried putting it in upside down.....it was fine when it left mexico and you know no company ever repairs something under "warranty" that has been damaged by the owner Just anti up another $149 and presto it's back...no more BB's for me.

Please use plain text.