Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
joanb
My Device: Z10 + PlayBook 64GB

future big PlayBook?

Hi,

Not sure whether this is the correct forum to ask this, but...

Does anyone know if there are rumour of a 10 inches playbook in near future?
I want to buy a tablet and i'm not sure about the playbook screen size.

Thanks

BES10 administrator for several customers.
"SMPTE Calculator" timecode APP developer for BB10
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: future big PlayBook?

Only rumours. However the PB screen is hi definitely. It is fantastic. In most cases you can pinch or spread two fingers to change the size of just about everything including photos and text. The native email is excellent for those of us whose eyes are declining. Love it!
Developer
greenback
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

If the Playbook hardware goes to 10 inch, there's no way I would be able to put it in my pocket, or carry it without having my fingers/hands hurt.

7 inches is the perfect size. It feels good to be mobile. 

Developer
joanb

Well, that's my concern. I do not need to put my tablet in the pocket, as I have the wonderful 9860 for that.
I need a tablet for VPN, rdp, corporate intranet, spreadsheet, and general working stuff. I'm a blackberry-diehard, but 7 inches seems a toy to me...

**bleep** it! I'm not convinced... Yet.

Regular Contributor
AA388
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook

"but 7 inches seems a toy to me"

It doesn't matter if it's 7 or 10 in unless any tablet has got a proper keyboard and mouse it will only ever be a toy.
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

I'd suggest you look at which "must have" applications you require on a tablet, and then base your decision on that rather than size. If they PlayBook does what you need then great, if not them you'll need to look elsewhere.

As for a 10" PlayBook, I don't see it happening any time soon. RIM has enough on their plate these days.
----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

AA388 wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's 7 or 10 in unless any tablet has got a proper keyboard and mouse it will only ever be a toy.

This is why man invented Bluetooth :-)

Whether PlayBook or iPad, with a physical keyboard / mouse combo via Bluetooth you can do a great deal with these devices regardless of size. No, you can't do everything, but you can certainly do a lot.

----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Developer
joanb

Hi,

Thank you for your opinions. You are right in your point of view.
I think I just need a real demo-hands-on session to be convinced.
I guess al software I need is already available for the PlayBook (there is a good rdp client, isn't there?).

Thanks. I'm afraid I can't accept all answers as solved. :-(

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

for a traveller, its the right size at 7

for those that yearn for a bigger screen, there is a HDMI output you can use with a monitor or TV then pair it up with a BT keyboard n mouse.

Maybe a larger screen would be nice for veiwing some things like a RDP session, but for now there is only one size and hopefully RIM will make a bigger one for those that desire it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
jecsc620
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook

This goes back to the statement someone mentioned earlier, as to how one uses the PB. 10" screens have been around for a while. I have a 10" piece of equipment and also a laptop, what I have found is that I use the PB much more easily when traveling or dynamic business meetings without carrying a laptop shoulder bag or saying "I will check when I get back to the office".

Are there still times that I need to use the laptop? Yes, but few and far between for my business. The size is just right because when i pull it out people don't believe that I can provide a quality answer or presentation from something i just pulled out of my suit jacket pocket. The 10" is nice, but i cannot remember an instance where the PB screen did not satisfy presentation needs. I think it comes down to what works for the individual...(now if RIM would just integrate the phone and give me an ear piece that hides in the ear to take and recieve calls)