Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

google email & calendar stopped syncing

yesterday I noticed calendar entries I put in on playbook were not showing up on my android phone. Clicking refresh on the calendar does not seem to do anything - it used to show the spinning circle and the work "syncing" or something like that. I restarted the playbook and the calendar started syncing again. then I put in another calendar entry on the playbook.

this morning I noticed that second calendar entry also did not show up on my android phone. Again clicking refresh does not cause it to sync. I went to see if emails were syncing. Both my email accounts were not - they were greyed out with an "!" since in the icon where the email tool lists the accounts.

I then tried to delete the two gmail accounts from the playbook and re-add them using the account tool. But now I can't even add the accounts back. The errmsg is "The server imap.gmail.com for account (myEmailAddress - myEmailAddress@gmail.com) is not responding. The server name in your account setting might be incorrect, or the server might be temporarily offline. Check your settings to make sure the server name is correct and try again."

I got to say I have not idea what server settings to use so I just used whatever got populated automatically for me. I retyped my passwords several times to make sure I did not have a typo.

Any ideas folks? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook

Re: google email & calendar stopped syncing

Google axed its use of MS Active Exchange Sync (aka Google Sync) for consumers on Jan 30th. It had already axed calendar sync on Dec 14th. They were supposed to keep working for account ts that had already been set up, so don't know what went wrong initially, but if you've uninstalled and reinstalled since The cut-off, you're stuck with trying to set up imap, CalDAV, and CardDAV separately.

Basically Google wants to force people to use android devices or, if they don't, to use Google apps instead of native ones. In other words, they want to be able to monetize our use of their "free" email because so many of us no longer log into the browser versions as often as we used to.

Personally, it only inclines me to ditch google.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

The same problem happens for me. Yesterday I tried to set up my GMail account for the first time and on saving I got the error

Your email account was successfully added. At this time, the google.com server is unavailable and your contacts account can't be added. Please try again later.

And I struggled with a second point: I only want to sync my contacts, not the emails, but while I'm able to switch syncing of contacts and calendar on or off, the button for email is somehow grayed out. Any ideas?

Trusted Contributor

thanks, Gumnutninja.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

if you are a current EAS user then it will still work but not for new accounts.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor

Hi Rockhammer - I double-checked my calendar (installed before the cutoffs) and it worked ok. I was able to add an entry on the PlayBook and have it show on my iPhone. Let us know if you are able to install ok whether the old way or piecemeal as caldav, etc.. and whether you are able to get it to sync. Hoping so..

Best,

gum..

Trusted Contributor

after I first noticed it didn't sync (may be 2 weeks ago) I rebooted my playbook and it synced - I thought it's just one of those things that need rebooting.

But then it again stopped syncing last week - probably that gmail change - and it did not work even after multiple reboots. so made the - now evidently fatal - mistake of removing my two gmail accounts and tried to add them back, which is when I got those errmsg. 

I suppose the solution now is to do those CalDAV things. But for myself, I've no idea what they are and will take me time to figure & so on so that is now on the back burner. Much like most things on the playbook, I seem to have to take much more time trying to get things work than the time I would save or convenience I would have by having those thing work.

So thanks for the follow-up, Gumnutninjia. When I get around to it I might post my results. Much appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

It should be:

Settings / Accounts / Emails, Calendars, Contacts / then..

Add new account / then (in bottom corner)

Advanced setup / thdn

Pick CalDAV for calendar 

Pick IMAP for email

Pick CardDAV for contacts

Good luck. I'll have same problem with the iPhone when I next upgrade. If you stick with android, gmail will like your phone at least :smileywink:

And I share your pain.. I have had enough glitches of my own to keep me comparing my PlayBook experience to iphone and ipad. But when it's being good, I still like the PlayBook.

Trusted Contributor

Oh.. P.S. Don't forget to enable imap in your gmail acct settings. Go to your Gmail, click on the gears icon, and choose "forwarding, pop/imap" and select "enable imap". Not sure if there are other settings for caldav and CardDAV, but maybe.