Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
rockhammer
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

has anyone been able to access outlook web app using playbook

if so, are there special settings I have to use?

I can login to my server via the playbook browser but when trying to get to the outlook web app, it just keeps prompting me to login again

thanks
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: has anyone been able to access outlook web app using playbook

I've used the Playbook to acces remote email accounts with the browser. Some of these services are Outlook simulated based using only the browser. 

Take care that the Playbook has no email application program in it at this time. Some remote email access sites will be expecting to see Outlook in the user's computer. This is the situation where the Playbook will not work.

For emails, most of the time I use the bridge email with my Blackberry Torch.

See if you can access your email accounts using a standard remote email client service rather than the need for a resident Outlook. The public email services, and most ISP email services work in this manner.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Trusted Contributor
tboyd
My Device: 8530 curve

rockhammer

I can use the PB browser to go to https://webmail.domainname.com/owa/ , then a dialog screen is displayed and I enter my username and password and the Outlook web access inbox opens. It's worked fine for me since day one.

New Contributor
JBenn911
My Device: Not Specified

same here...no issues with owa..maybe you need your domain\username ?
Trusted Contributor
rockhammer
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. That is exactly what i've been doing. Those same steps let me sign into my email via outlook web app on my laptop computer. Doing exactly those same steps on the playbook somehow does not work.

Trusted Contributor
tboyd
My Device: 8530 curve

Open up your PB browser and open up settings (swipe down). Check the settings, you may need to changer some of the default settings.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

Something to try... Go in to the browser properties (setup) and set it to allow popups. I found blocking popups causes problems on some sites.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
New Contributor
mobiledoc
My Device: Bold 9650 and PlayBook

I am very interested in this issue with OWA use on PlayBook.  When I put in our url for OWA I get a dialog box that says:

File name CookieAuth.dll

lower down it says: File exists.  Rename this file or press Save to replace existing file.

My choices are Cancel and Save.  When I press either one, there is still no progress to the OWA site; don't get login screen.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

This sounds like Outlook Web Access. Not many users would know about this. The file you mentioned is not directly a cookie. It is a dynamic link library file (dll) according to its name. It sounds like an active type of cookie. Some security softwares may block this without approval. This type of file can contain executable code to be run by another app such as Java, or Visial Basic, or some other utility software that is residing or is temporarily put in to the client system (visiting system).

I don't know the specifics in the design of OWA to be able to give you exact details about its design and requirements. From what I have been informed OWA was designed to work with most popular operating platforms such as Linux, Apple, and Windows based systems. What I believe is happening is on the PB its OS cannot handle the dll file that is being received, or it cannot handle a software that is being pushed in to run the dll file. This does not mean other tablets will be able to handle this either. You would have to research this.

What I can suggest, is if your email service can offer a "copy-forward", or a simple forward option, have a copy of all your emails sent to another account such a s Gmail, or Hotmail, or Yahoo Mail. I found the PB to handle these very well.

For details about your email remote access you should contact the service provider. They may even have a direct and easy resolve for tablet access, or have another solution for you.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
mobiledoc
My Device: Bold 9650 and PlayBook

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply.  I will look at why our OWA uses this dll format.

As for having a "mail forwarding" system, this does work but that only gets the email to gmail, or yahoo.  I would like to have the full functionality of OWA (calendar, contacts, and access to do contact lookup on corp address book.)

Thanks again