Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
DCOM
My Device: playbook

how can I manage photos?

I have a new playbook and want to take a picture, give it a title, text, rename it or somehow identify the pic. then I want to put it in a folder. Is this too much to ask BB. Given that BB was the workhorse of smartphones, why forget that business people would like to use the playbook for some business functions...Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm tired of downloading every photo editor and file manager on the planet....

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Re: how can I manage photos?

DCOM wrote:

I have a new playbook and want to take a picture, give it a title, text, rename it or somehow identify the pic. then I want to put it in a folder. Is this too much to ask BB. Given that BB was the workhorse of smartphones, why forget that business people would like to use the playbook for some business functions...Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm tired of downloading every photo editor and file manager on the planet....

If you have tried every file manager and photo editor on tbe planet it does not leave us much  scope to suggest more.  It's easy to rename and move to a new  folder using any file manager (you must have tried AIR Browser if you tried them all) so not sure what your problem might be. 

Being somewhat facetious I guess...just disappointed that such a nice little unit has less than I expected. Frustration talking

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

[ Edited ]

DCOM wrote:

Being somewhat facetious I guess...just disappointed that such a nice little unit has less than I expected. Frustration talking

I agree Playbook does not have a proper file manager, despite there being an icon with that description.

AIR Browser is free and the developer is a really nice guy. It will allow you to rename a photo in the Camera folder where they reside after taking, to create a subfolder in Photos folder (just one sublevel is recommended as only one level is displayed in Pictures) and it will let you move the photo.

My Device: Bold 9930

DCOM wrote:

I agree Playbook does not have a proper file manager, despite there being an icon with that description.

I, too, am disappointed with that aspect of the PlayBook.  However, I manage photos by connecting my PB to my laptop. 

By using device manager, the PB is mapped to a drive on my laptop.  From there, I use the photo editing software on my laptop to enhance the pics.

The steps are:

1. Connect PB to laptop/computuer using the USB connection. 

2. Allow laptop to install the Device Manager.  It will ask for your PB password.  (Will only have to install the device manager once, but must enter the PW any time you connect to the laptop/computer.)

3. Have the photo editing software on your laptop open.  (I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 9).

4. Go to my My Computer and open the mapped drive on your laptop

5. Open the camera folder

6. Right click on the pic you wish to enhance and open it with your photo editing software

7. Have fun with the pic

8. Save As .jpg to your camera folder  Unfortunately, the file name will not show on the PB

These are a lot of steps, though they are quick.

Additionally, you may create folders by following steps 1 through 5. Then relpace 6 - 8 with the steps below:

6. After opening the camera folder, just create new folders

7. name them

8. and drag and drop your pics into them.  You can also drag and drop pics resident on your laptop into your camera folders.

When you open the pictures or camera icon on the PB you will now see your pics categorized into albums.

Hope this helps.

Contributor
DCOM

Thanks...I have done some via my PC but I need apps for remote locations. Found one on the weekend "Comment Camera Lite". by Buddha Technologies. Does exactly what I need but the full version has not been released yet so just waiting. thanks for your help

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Files and Folders is a great app to manage your files, try it free before you buy

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/49236/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V