Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

ruimartins
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

how to connect a usb pen to my playbook

Hello,

I am a new commer to the blackberry world and tabblet use. I have a Playbook with 16 Gbs and I want to connect a USB pen to the tablet to transfer some files/docs but i can not have the tablet recognising the usb pen. Why is taht ? I have used pens for Windows only and others that according to the package are ok to use in Windows and Linux.

I have a micro usb / usb OTG addapter but even so it does not work.

Someone out there can help me ?

Tks

Rui Martins

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: how to connect a usb pen to my playbook

USB hosting is not currently available on Playbook. Sorry.  You will have to do it via a PC in 2 stages.

Helli jarviser.

Tks for yr reply.....I took all this time thinking about that and seems quite silly that RIM has not made it possible to connect a pen directly trough a usb host....how many times do we have to connect a usb pen to use or download files, presentations, etc...?

This is a major set back for the playbook, at least for me. What is the use of buying one of this if by half therice I can have a diferent model from a diferent supplier, and do not need to walkaround with a laptop or have a BB phone....

What do these guys think ?

Any news of a usb host in the near future ?

Tks, and happy xmas.

Rui

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello,

1) even without the USB host feature, I am happy with my PlayBook.

2) apart from rumors, there is absolutely no trusted info about the availability of that feature on the PlayBook.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

There are some WiFI USB readers that would work

I use a Box or DropBox account to send files or use the wifi sharing on playbook.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
ruimartins

Hello mate,

Thanks for your reply on my question, but not being an expert on technologies, can you give me some more details on that solution ?

Any links I can look for some info or tutorials ?

Tks and a happy new year.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

There are various cloud providers such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Microsoft Skydrive, SugarSync.

as for a WIFI usb reader I have not tested one yet

but this looks good

http://www.airstash.com/#specs

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

ruimartins wrote:

Helli jarviser.

Tks for yr reply.....I took all this time thinking about that and seems quite silly that RIM has not made it possible to connect a pen directly trough a usb host....how many times do we have to connect a usb pen to use or download files, presentations, etc...?

This is a major set back for the playbook, at least for me. What is the use of buying one of this if by half therice I can have a diferent model from a diferent supplier, and do not need to walkaround with a laptop or have a BB phone....

What do these guys think ?

Any news of a usb host in the near future ?

Tks, and happy xmas.

Rui

Even the saintly ipads can't provide full usb integration with pen drives. Photo import only, and with modded drives.

Google attempted to restrict USB access but some success has been claimed using an app or by rooting.

No tablets can write to usb pen drives AFAIK.

PlayBook problem will be providing power to the drive through a microUSB port. Will it or won't it?