Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
eprklims
My Device: Torch 9800 & PlayBook 64

iTunes and PlayBook artwork

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this experience.

I have around 99% of my artwork in iTunes (I used TuneUp to get artwork synched nicely in iTunes)

I synched around 400 of my songs over via USB.

I noticed that many artwork files were missing on the PlayBook that existed in iTunes. Approximately half were missing.

I chose the 'refresh album artwork from iTunes' and the first time I did this it found a bunch of artwork, approximately 50, and brought those over.  But there are still lots of missing album artwork images.  I can see them in iTunes but they won't come over.  I tried BB support, but they couldn't figure it out. Any ideas?

As an aside, I was also trying to get wifi music sync working like it does on my Torch.  It took over an hr with support and going from level 1 to level 2 and while they were looking into wifi music sync, I finally found in the support in Desktop manager that it wasn't supported (yet) on PlayBook.  So hopefully that will save some of you some time! I find level 1 support to be very weak. I hope some RIM exec calls in and asks them some questions as they just don't seem to 'get' it.  I have to repeat things several times and they don't seem to fully understand the product.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: iTunes and PlayBook artwork

as far as I can remember, iTunes uses a specific album cover format that is not recognized by many players. I remember I had to restamp my songs using MozillaZongbird (you can also do it with VLC or WinAmp).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
alovings
My Device: playbook and tour

ok you have brought up a question i have had for a long time now. i have about 900 songs in my playbook and a great deal of them all have the same album artwork. i can see the artwork in my PB but how do i get it to sync with the songs?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I am sorry alovings, I do not understand your question.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
alovings

ok what im saying is that same album artwork ( lets say nora jones ) is showing up on all of my music
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Not sure about that artwork appearing everywhere.

What I have noticed is that you can use the Windows method of putting in a cover as folder.jpg in the directory of your audio.

Now, if all of your songs are in the same folder, then they would all have the same artwork.

Anyway, back to the original problem. Just access the playbook music folder on your computer and drag and drop the album cover into the same folder as your music. Rename to folder.jpg and you are done!

Another way is to make sure that the mp3 files have the album cover in the id3 tag. If you are not sure how to do this then don't bother, the other method is easier :smileyhappy:

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
alovings

if i am understanding you right you want me to go into the Media Sync folder which in inside my music folder and take a album (jane dear girls for instance) folder go into it and make the picture in that folder to a jpg(janedear.jpg or folder.jpg). now if this is correct your saying it should now show up as album artwork. but two questions there, 1 what about the single songs that didnt have a folder to begin with and also isnt that going to put that jpg. in my Pictures folder as well? seems like there should be a easier way since we are using the bb desktop manager.
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

OK - Let's do this in the reverse order :smileyhappy:

1. BB Desktop Manager. I don't use this at all so all my advice is based on looking at the files on your computer and on the PlayBook. So there may be a better way than what I'm advising, but I know that this 'just works'.

2. Single songs. If they don't have a seperate folder then they should have an album art tag in the file. Then they will show the art on the PlayBook quite happily.

3. Pictures folder. Nope, the PlayBook realises that this is album art, so it will not show the folder.jpg file in the Pictures app. Thankfully :smileyhappy:

SO - Your best bet is to use a tagging application to embed the album art. Apparently Windows Media Play does this, but I'm using Linux and can't verify this. Instead, I'll point you in the direction of this article which shows you how to embed your album art in a relatively easy manner:

http://www.withsteps.com/602/include-album-art-into-mp3-files.html

Once it's done once - the album / track art should appear in every media player you use with no problems. I hope this all helps you.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
eprklims
My Device: Torch 9800 & PlayBook 64

Hi all

Since I'm the one who started all this fun, I should mention that I found a very good solution...

I purchased TuneUp Companion for iTunes.  It fixed up almost all of my album artwork in iTunes, and then I just went in to DM and chose to update the artwork.  Problem solved. 

I was able to find a coupon online to save some $$ on TuneUp Companion but it was less than $30 and saved a lot of hassle

Hope this helps!

EK

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mimaki
My Device: Playbook 64gb

hi, there is a free applescript that will do it, google dougs itunes embed artwork script
Please use plain text.