Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Reply
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
Posts: 511
Registered: ‎09-16-2012
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: in-car charger?


hvacdon wrote:

Thanks Chaos....followed the advice for the USB hack to convert a stardard data cable to a charge cable....a five minute modification to a redundant usb cable.  I already had the 12V car to 5V usb  2.0 amp adapter (Belkin) for another device.

 

Slice the cable mid length, cut and short the green and white wires to the micro-end (device).  Leave open on the charger end.

 

Now have a lightning bolt charge showing on the pb.  

 

Incidentally, when using a standard bb smartphone car charger, it only showed the plug symbol, but charged the pb over 5 or 6 hours from 60% to 99%.  Slow but it works and  similar to a standard bb smartphone charger .


YAY! I am pleased you took the plunge. Congratulations! Interesting observation using a standard BB smartphone car charger. Good in a pinch then I suppose?

 

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
Posts: 367
Registered: ‎09-22-2012
My Device: Playbook 32

Re: in-car charger?

I am now a believer. Well done chaos. 

________
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
Posts: 152
Registered: ‎09-20-2012
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

Re: in-car charger?

Hello Chaosdivine.

 

Just in case my socket does not work, can you display the original information for the cable adaption? I will give it a go. Sent you a post with my email details.

 

Regards

 

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
New Contributor
kwmcs
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎10-24-2012
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Re: in-car charger? Has the o/s been altered?

Hi! Ross

Out of interest what Sat Nav/GPS App are you using/going to use on your Playbook?

Ken

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
Posts: 152
Registered: ‎09-20-2012
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

Re: in-car charger? Has the o/s been altered?

[ Edited ]

Hello Kwmcs.

 

I am using OsmAnd (free version).  I purchased Magellan Compass for £5.00 but have struggled to get any maps displayed whilst travelling. So, have reverted to OsmAnd. The unfortunate fact is that neither of the programmes allow 3D. OsmAnd does not include GB postcode whilst Magellan does. But I can get postcodes on the OsmAnd if I use a wifi connection, which is available via Tethering, on my Orange phone. So, this country is taken care of. On the continent OsmAnd uses gps co-ordinates. I can download the continental maps when I am ready to travel for £7.00.

 

I use the frre Co-pilot gps (android) on my mobile, but the gps fix moves to the next street sometimes, and whilst travelling this can cause a problem. That is the fault of the phone's gps aerial, not Copilot.

 

On a scale of 10

 

Osmand  7

Magellan 4

Copilot, unfortunatley not supported by our o/s, so 0, but if it was, 10.

 

Keep in touch

 

Ross

 

 

Regards to all (except BB)
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
Posts: 511
Registered: ‎09-16-2012
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: in-car charger?

[ Edited ]

rossjackson01 wrote:

Hello Chaosdivine.

 

Just in case my socket does not work, can you display the original information for the cable adaption? I will give it a go. Sent you a post with my email details.

 

Regards

 

Ross


Hello Ross, I just replied to your PM with a PM too with the YouTube links and to the Crackberry thread which said what to do. Really this is a simple process:

 

How to make a charge only cable out of a data/charge microUSB cable:

 

Disclaimer: You're doing this on your own accord and I am not responsible for any problems you may encounter. Watch the YouTube videos first for they will guide you through the process. The information posted below is taken directly from the videos.

 

1) Carefully slit open the plastic jacket on a cable with a horizontal slit about two to three inches long.

2) Remove silver shielding that should be inside the cable covering the wires.

3) Take two wires (the white and green one) and cut them, leaving the two wire ends on the fullsize USB end unspliced - you may wrap them in electrical tape seperately if you wish. The ends that face the microUSB end need twisting together to form a splice - in effect shorting them together.

4) Remove/strip some colored wire wrapping from the white and green wires facing the microUSB end and twist them together to make a splice - ideally soldering them together if you have such a tool but they will work fine twisted. Soldering makes the job more permanent.

5) Wrap the splice in electrical tape to prevent the splice from touching the other two untouched ends in the cable.

6) Tuck them back into the cable and either seal it with electrical tape or use shrink wrap (not the see through plastic you wrap your food in) and a heat gun to seal it up.

7) Try it out, you're done...

 

Remember, the White and Green wires are the data ends of the cable - not the power ends. You are not touching those so fears of a fire will not occur.

 

 

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
Posts: 511
Registered: ‎09-16-2012
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: in-car charger? Has the o/s been altered?

[ Edited ]

rossjackson01 wrote:

Hello Kwmcs.

 

I am using OsmAnd (free version).  I purchased Magellan Compass for £5.00 but have struggled to get any maps displayed whilst travelling. So, have reverted to OsmAnd. The unfortunate fact is that neither of the programmes allow 3D. OsmAnd does not include GB postcode whilst Magellan does. But I can get postcodes on the OsmAnd if I use a wifi connection, which is available via Tethering, on my Orange phone. So, this country is taken care of. On the continent OsmAnd uses gps co-ordinates. I can download the continental maps when I am ready to travel for £7.00.

 

I use the frre Co-pilot gps (android) on my mobile, but the gps fix moves to the next street sometimes, and whilst travelling this can cause a problem. That is the fault of the phone's gps aerial, not Copilot.

 

On a scale of 10

 

Osmand  7

Magellan 4

Copilot, unfortunatley not supported by our o/s, so 0, but if it was, 10.

 

Keep in touch

 

Ross

 

 


I have some news for you - RIM with BB OS 10 has partnered with Tom Tom for their native mapping application. Here is a press release from a few months ago: http://crackberry.com/rim-partners-tomtom-real-time-traffic-data-and-mapping

 

So you're mapping experience is going to improve in the future with the drop of BB OS 10.

 

FYI, I use Magellan and I would not give it a 4/10. I think that's way too low. Version 3.1.2 is actually very good.

 

Once you figure out how to use it, I would give it a 7/10. You just need to do some planning beforehand downloading maps to your PlayBook  caching them and then you don't need Wi-Fi at all. They do give you a very good PDF help file that I would suggest everyone reads before using the product.  Mind you, these days, I just use my BB cellphone (Torch 9810) and the native BlackBerry Map and Traffic apps built into it. It is much smaller and more portable than breaking out the PlayBook. 

 

Regular Contributor
hvacdon
Posts: 72
Registered: ‎04-27-2012
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Re: in-car charger?


chaosdivine wrote:

rossjackson01 wrote:

Hello Chaosdivine.

 

Just in case my socket does not work, can you display the original information for the cable adaption? I will give it a go. Sent you a post with my email details.

 

Regards

 

Ross


Hello Ross, I just replied to your PM with a PM too with the YouTube links and to the Crackberry thread which said what to do. Really this is a simple process:

 

How to make a charge only cable out of a data/charge microUSB cable:

 

Disclaimer: You're doing this on your own accord and I am not responsible for any problems you may encounter. Watch the YouTube videos first for they will guide you through the process. The information posted below is taken directly from the videos.

 

1) Carefully slit open the plastic jacket on a cable with a horizontal slit about two to three inches long.

2) Remove silver shielding that should be inside the cable covering the wires.

3) Take two wires (the white and green one) and cut them, leaving the two wire ends on the fullsize USB end unspliced - you may wrap them in electrical tape seperately if you wish. The ends that face the microUSB end need twisting together to form a splice - in effect shorting them together.

4) Remove/strip some colored wire wrapping from the white and green wires facing the microUSB end and twist them together to make a splice - ideally soldering them together if you have such a tool but they will work fine twisted. Soldering makes the job more permanent.

5) Wrap the splice in electrical tape to prevent the splice from touching the other two untouched ends in the cable.

6) Tuck them back into the cable and either seal it with electrical tape or use shrink wrap (not the see through plastic you wrap your food in) and a heat gun to seal it up.

7) Try it out, you're done...

 

Remember, the White and Green wires are the data ends of the cable - not the power ends. You are not touching those so fears of a fire will not occur.

 

 


Thanks for the detailed description....it is a very simple process, and the most dangerous part is not cutting your fingers while you slice the cable.  I would say it is "not rocket science", but then, after having used this phrase myself one too many times, someone reminded me that I actually knew how to build rockets.

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
Posts: 152
Registered: ‎09-20-2012
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

Re: in-car charger? Has the o/s been altered?

[ Edited ]

A good man again.

 

Regarding Magellan. I have read the manual a number of times. I download and install the maps. But when I travel, the map is not displayed. I Download using wifi. My trip is usually 250 miles. As soon as I start the journey, without wifi, all maps disappear. Am I supposed to sit outside for 30/40 minutes before a journey to download via gps?  Battery drains as no charge from the 12v system. Catch 22. Hence the commencement  of this thread regarding usb charging.

 

I will contact Tomtom and speak to them about Blackberry. If that is a possibility, gosh, it will be good. However, looking at the blurb it appears it is going to be wifi/internet. If you travel abroad on the continent then off-line is the orde of the day. Gps is needed. Playbook does not have sim, only tethering is available.

 

Regards

 

Ross

 

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
Posts: 367
Registered: ‎09-22-2012
My Device: Playbook 32

Re: in-car charger? Has the o/s been altered?

I guess a short usb extension cable male to female could be converted, joining green and white wires towards the female end, thus being able to utilize a standard BB playbook usb cable (and other device cables) as charge-only without having to buy new ones to convert. Should be a lot cheaper and wires usually easier to strip out. Haven't tried it yet but I will. 

________