Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Re: in-car charger? Has the o/s been altered?

TroyTempest wrote:

I guess a short usb extension cable male to female could be converted, joining green and white wires towards the female end, thus being able to utilize a standard BB playbook usb cable (and other device cables) as charge-only without having to buy new ones to convert. Should be a lot cheaper and wires usually easier to strip out. Haven't tried it yet but I will. 

That will work as well. 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

Re: in-car charger?

[ Edited ]

Keeping you posted

Getting interesting. Not.

The 3.1 socket adapter arrived. Tried and failed. No charge. So, it must be the cable. I have sent for a 'power only usb charging cable extension lead 25cm'. If it does not work I shall try the cable splicing.

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: t-Mobile

Re: in-car charger?

I bought a Playbook in October, and one of my first actions was to try to understand why a perfectly good 2 Amp 5v charger would not charge the Playbook. I soon discovered the same sneaky set up that is described in the above email, namely that the two data lines of the USB plug are shorted together. To prove my theory I used a pair of sockets purchased from Maplin with the two data pins shorted.... Bingo! The battery icon showed its lighting strike, and the Playbook charged. Remove said short and the same charger will not even trickle charge! I then tried it with a lower rating charger aprox. 1 Amp, and the the other battery Icon showed, indicating partial charging. I really cannot understand why BB have been so mean minded to prevent non OEM chargers from working. They are not alone, Samsung Tab (P1000) has an even more sneaky trap. There the two data pins are connected to the power pins via a potential divider resistor chain, to present 1V on Data- and 4V on Data+. Again why bother when all they are achieving is customer agro!

On a secondary issue, I do despair how so much nonsense can be aired on forums. People saying that it is dangerous to use a 5V 2 Amp charger when the original is only 700mA rating. No one seems to bother about correcting such untruths. Yes if there is a fault on the device, you now have 10Watts to burn it out rather than 3.5Watts, but that would be the case using a faulty Playbook, expecting a 2 Amp supply.

I should also caution against anyone modifying a power supply or lead, unless they are sure and competent about what they are doing.