Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK
Accepted Solution

in-car charger?

The Playbook charges OK whilst connected to mains.

I have installed OsmAnd gps and wish to use it off-line. Unfortunately the battery discharges whilst being used. Quite normal, nothing wrong there. However every piece of hardware that I use to charge from the 12v system does not show connection through the usb. I have tried a 12v charger to the playbook. A 12v connecter with a usb to the Playbook. Nothing is shown as charge.

Has any member been able to use a playbook on charge from a 12v system. If so, what connection did you use, and can I get/order one in the UK?

Hope you can help.

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

Re: in-car charger?

[ Edited ]

Yes, I use this car charger and I bought it from these guys http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-premium-18a--micro-usb-in-vehicle-charger/5A47A11480.htm

I'm in Canada and you're overseas so that won't be that great for you. But it is the BB OEM Premium Car Charger though so there is a chance you could find it on UK eBay or in your local shops. You could buy it directly from BlackBerry but it would be much more expensive probably.

Long story short, your car charger must be able to deliver 1.8A output. It will charge your cellphone (BlackBerry) up to twice as fast since it is delivering twice the amount of energy than the way underpowered cell chargers. Don't waste your time on any charger that will not output 1.8A no matter what they say on the package (PlayBook compatible). There are lots of threads on the Internet and everyone says 1.8A or bust...

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Not applicable

Hi!

Have not used this yet but it is the official in-car charger and costs a total of £7.75 plus £6.00 postage. Quick delivery from Germany. Got it from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083V7NHG/ref=pe_217191_31005151_3p_dp_1

You can charge 2 items at the same time

Trusted Contributor

Chaosdivine and Kwmcs. Thank you for your prompt replies. I have noted what was said. I have looked at my chargers and they are indeed less than 1.8A. Bummer! I am trying to locate a source in the uk. You say you purchased from amazon. Have you tried yours yet? Looking at the blurb it states for a bb 8980 etc, so I am not sure. The one I purchased said it was for playbook 8220 2830 8520 8530 8900 8980, which I belive are not playbooks but mobiles. I remain confused.

New Contributor

Hi!

It is exactly the same one as chaosdevine suggested and uses so should do the job.

Ken

New Contributor

Hi! Again

I went and checked the box it came in and it says it is compatible with Smartphones and the Playbook.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Kwmcs

Sorry to ask, but have you actually tried to see if it charges?

The reason I ask is that I have tried 2 items now, both of which state 2.0a, and neither charge the 64g Playbook. Is your playbook the 64g?

Regards

Ross

New Contributor

Hi! Ross

Have not been on a long enough car journey yet. Only got the charger on Tuesday. Mine is a 64GB PlayBook.

Trusted Contributor

Kwmcs

Let me know when you do try the in-car charger. If it works I will order one.

Have a good weekend.

Regards

Ross 

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

This style should work too: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Charger-iPhone-4-4S-iPad-2-NEW-Mini-USB-1-8A-/360425135416?pt=PDA_Accesso...

Again, kind of useless to you in the UK, but if anyone in NA, SA, Asia or Austrailia - $5.95 CAD ($5.99 USD) and shipping is $2.98 CAD (approx. $3.00 USD )

Output: 5V, Input: 12-24V, 1.8A with the 1.8A being the key component.

I have crossed out this post as I am not confident the information I have posted here is accurate to work with the PlayBook. The more I read into this, it seems that the chargers designed to work with Apple products have their USB pins arranged in an order that will not work properly with the PlayBook unless some pins are "shorted". Because I don't know enough about this yet, I would NOT buy any charger that hasn't already been proven and tested to work by their owners - in other words, research your brand of charger via search engine and see what others say about it. By they way, this is also common with Android devices not working with Apple rated chargers.

If you do buy a charger like this, then you will most likely require a CHARGE ONLY usb cable (one that has the data pins shorted out and only provides power). A dual purpose cable (data/power) will not work with a car charger apparently.

For example: this device does NOT work with the PlayBook even though it says 2.1A

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10826&cs_id=1082603&p_id=8858&seq=1&for...

Read the reviews, some are very informative.