Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
Accepted Solution

.mkv videos

Ok,  I don't watch much tv but have taken to downloading shows and the occasional movie.  I know that the .mkv video standard is not supported by the playbook but is there an alternative to the Playbook Video player?  I looked and couldn't really find one.  Alternatively, is there a GOOD file conversion tool that will convert .mkv files without losing quality.  I have used AnyVideo converter and there's a HUGE drop in quality.  Thanks for the help....

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Re: .mkv videos

Try handbrake. Google it and it is free.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook

thanks for that tip - looks really useful - very flexible

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.2.1)

[ Edited ]

Just today (Oct 12, 2012) Kalemsoft has released their Media Player app ($6.99) that plays .mkv's as well as others.

Here's a copy/paste from their App World posting:

KalemSoft Media Player is a full-featured media player that can play and stream formats such as wmv, wma, mkv, divx, xvid, avi, mp4, mp3, flac, ogg, mov, rm, rmvb and many others (see below for limitations). It can play audio/video content stored locally on the device, or a remote PC. It can even play live content from a webcam, TV card (only analog TV tuner cards are supported) or any other DirectShow compatible capture device attached to a PC. 

To use the streaming function, a free application, KalemSoft Media Streamer, MUST BE SEPARATELY DOWNLOADED from KalemSoft website, www.kalemsoft.com/site/downloads2.html, and installed on a remote PC. The content is streamed from the PC to the device in a secure way directly. Note that for local media playback on the device, KalemSoft Media Player does not require any other application. 

KalemSoft Media Player has the following features: all common codec support, favorites list, fullscreen playback, external SRT or embedded SSA subtitles, various aspect ratios, recording of streamed content on the device, progressive download, and many more. 

Note that this application WILL NOT PLAY DRM copy-protected content (e.g., Digital Copy, copy protected iTunes).

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/17842195/?lang=en

I have this app on the HP TouchPad and it is a game changer for the device. Actually made it useful. This app on the BlackBerry PlayBook will greatly reduce the need to transcode media...

Disclaimer: not associated with these guys, but just happy that they've released this for the PB.