Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: Swisscom and Sunrise

need help setting up BB Playbook

Just purchase a BB Playbook in the US and now try to get it to work in Switzerland. Connecting to WiFi and following instructions are fine until it gets to select the country  under Agreement. There my drop down list is simply empty/blank (no countries to select) and the error message I get "unable to display the BB ID agreement"... so I went back and looked at the countries I have in the first choice..well Switzerland is simply missing so I took US and language English, then Belgium with language English and last UK with English and nothing lets me continue...What does this mean? Will the BB Playbook not work in Europe? If yes how can I set up my device?  The website of Blackberry is also very strange as when selecting Europe and Switzerland you get a phone contact which is completely wrong and not working..so it looks that also the phone number belongs to maybe Germany or Belgium..who knows. 

Any suggestion on how I can get this device to work ? WiFi connection is OK but that is about it :smileysad:

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Re: need help setting up BB Playbook

I am having an identical issue getting mine set up in Canada - I am on line with technical support as I type this

New Contributor

Did you get it resolved? If yes what was the issue. Tech support here in Europe is clueless and told me they have never seen this happening. Test was OK - WiFi connected but still no way to select the country for BB user ID agreement or whatever it is called... 

I have never seen a tablet being blocked for regions? BB the first one that allows set up in the US only ?:smileysad:

New Contributor

update: somehow I passed that "Agreement" step yesterday but now I am stuck at the update server. looks that now it does not longer connect to the internet properly. it is a nightmare and BB hates me... device would look very promising if it could get set up... yesterday before passing that Agreement step when pressing Hotspot set up the answer was that I am connected to the internet. Today after the Agreement step this Hotspot set up is simply blank (similar to the Agreement I could not pass yesterday) and with this it does not connect to the internet anymore but it was OK yesterday. anybody has any clue to why BB is behaving sooo strange. the video set up looks so easy but hot to get the device to behave like in the video?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

If you look back many months this question (for a guy in Syria) was diverted to the secret conclave of playbook "experts". The thread was locked, and we have been waiting for white smoke ever since.  They appear not to know what to do if blackberry don't include your country in their world.  

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Blackberry-ID-agreement-problems/td-p/103...

i suggest that if you are in switzerland, try pretending go be another European country like united kingdom and report back. The syrian guy never reported back. 

However, if you bought the playbook in canada, and can't set it up in canada, it's a different problem, probably wifi.

Welcome screen - country set up is possible, connect WiFi works, Time and Date - OK but now next step "Agreement" has simply no country to select and therefore not possible to accept the terms to proceed to the next step which is I believe the BB ID and password. 

On first screen I can select German - Switzerland, English - Belgium, English - UK, English - US, etc and all of these countries lead to the same results on the Agreement step !  iOS a charm, Windows OK and BB a nightmare? 

Support of BB is very nice but clueless.... was talking to Germany, Costa Rica and finally got transferred to South East Asia but everybody is simply surprised about the reaction of this device :smileysad:  OS reset done via help of support but with same results. The question is does BB deliver devices without 3G that are country restricted? I mean after all it is just a tablet to connect to WiFi and does not have a 3G module with carrier restrictions??

New Contributor

Update: BB hates Switzerland. :smileyhappy: Impossible to set up with country Switzerland :smileyhappy: ... so I went through several languages in Europe English for Belgium, English for UK and finally gave up on English set up. Went to German and Switzerland still same result and then guess what... German and Germany...yupiehhh.. passed the Agreement and BB Playbook is now on update. Will try to change settings to English as I truly hate to buy  a device in the US and then not being able to operate in English :smileysad:... BB why all these restrictions??  Let customers select their preferred language and do NOT force them to use whatever you think is best!  

New Contributor

After spending two hours on the phone with tech support yesterday, I'm not much further ahead - their best guess was that the OS software had a bug. Was advised to download Blackberry Desktop software, and then basically forced a reboot of the PB with it linked through my laptop's USB port - after the better portion of an hour, it was still not resolved.

While waiting, I read a number of posts on the Forum page, and noted this problem was experienced by many others - one consistent theme was that several reported being unable to start the PB using their home network, until they reset their router, or used another WiFi source. I reset my router, and used my mobile Hotspot at one point, too.

Somewhere amid all the confusion, I also managed to bypass the Agreement page, and actually got the bloody thing working. My tech support person, in the meanwhile, exhausted all his sources of assistance, and came back on the line to tell me their best guess is that the Playbook has a defective antenna - even though it shows as connected to WiFi, they feel it actually isn't...

Since they have agreed to send out yet another replacement, I opted to perform a Security Wipe, and give up on this particular device until its replacement arrives - I should add that we have three Playbooks in our household, and until now, have had no issues whatsoever. If, and when you get your issues resolved, you'll find it's actually a neat tablet. My company (Wurth Canada) also invested in over 400 of these, for our sales force to have access to our systems wherever they are, and we have been running them since May of 2012, with virtually no issues.

The only word of caution I would offer (and one I HOPE Blackberry soon addresses!) is to be very careful to ensure you are plugging the power in correctly - the micro-USB plug can very easily be plugged in upside down, which will almost certainly destroy the port. Two of the PB's in our household have already been sent back, and in both cases, replaced (as opposed to being repaired) with no grief from Blackberry. Our corporate "fleet" of PB's has seen at least half sent back for repair/replacement - it is critical to ensure the Blackberry symbol is facing UP.

Oddly enough, my Blackberry Bold will only accept the power plug one way, even if you try to force it in - why they don't incorporate the same style port into the Playbook is a mystery to me...

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Canada loves Switzerland, if that makes you feel any better... :smileyhappy:

New Contributor

:Clap: thanks... and guess what my BB Playbook is now set back to English and US ..just had to set up with German and Germany and  it works now in English and US  in Switzerland :smileyhappy: