Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
lovely_leftovers

new 2.0 interface... my two cents

hi, i spend the whole morning in horror on seeing the new playbook os on youtube, and it is truly a worst case scenario you toying with. you completely destroying the simplicity with that redundant icon bar and make it actually look like an android desktop which it not is!

here are the things to do...

call the "all" tab "apps" tab and give him the same functionality like favorites, media and games have, forget those little dots marking the desk you are on, they are tabs, with names

make that you can move stuff out of the "all" tab instead of copying everything, its what it makes it complicated since you have to organize on two fronts

folders are no solution, nice to have, but since pressing that x making it unnecessarily complicated and tedious to use, its unfriendly to base things on that

i for one use "add to home screen" bookmarks for all my blogs and pages i use regularly and the bookmarks in the browser for stuff to remember and to go on with later, so let us rename the "favorites" tab in to "bookmarks" and let the "add to home screen" button directly save them there and/or tell people that, so the concept is easier to understand, i have over 60 bookmarks linked like that on my "favorites" home screen tab and i hate to see this all going to be in that poor unusable browser

bring all the android functionality in an "android" tab so that it at least looks separated from the host system in the same way bridge with a tethered phone is

i cannot stress this enough but the application dock is just the most stupid thing you can do to the look and feel, the removal of textual orientation and eye candy in form of their smaller separated looks on open program windows cracks me up, i like how it is now

also you have to make people able to remove apps permanently from the device and from my world, paid apps have to be removable to, just inform about the consequence before allowing removal, if you keep track of everything people do, its frighten them to test new stuff, which results in less people buying apps, its the same basic thing people trying to tell about with being against sopa and overly government control

and for the sake of the matter let us turn off the five minute standby if the device is not touched, people that tend to buy blackberry products are grown ups, they can decide to have it running and understand that that is using battery life, if we have to run a video in the background or move to another "running" full screen app so that it stays on, it is using more battery than simply turn off the standby and leave it running with what ever we do you not able to anticipate we will do with our playbooks

you blackberry people are far to over innovative and controlling here, please do not destroy everything

make what you stand for, stable running products, it cannot be that the playbook crashing on creating preview pictures if i but more than a few hundred movies or photos on it

and why is it running out of graphics memory when i look through images for more than a few minutes, crashes the browser after some time or a few pictures on pages like tumblr, that is stuff that simply have to work, it looks like it just fills up the memory in the background and then dies eventually

javascript is making the browser intolerable unstable and slow, yes i talk about javascript, flash without javascript is running just fine, no not talking about html5 here

and something similar to adblock plus like it exists for mozilla firefox would be awesome

also a random mode is needed for the picture viewer, and a build in file browser, use "air browser" for an orientation here, and make it play more video formats like avi, mkv, flv, rm, mpg so we don't have to have an paid app for every single one, and that we can have more than one browser window open so we can decide to have music running in a webpage without pausing it when switching to another page, but please don't create app piles like webos did

it seems you have all there, all we need, all the functionality is there... you just have to loosen up a little and make it easier for you and the new people to see the big picture who ever made the 1.0 user interface had in mind

thanks for reading this, and please excuse my probably bad english i didn't need it since the early nineties :Beta1:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
demonpulse
My Carrier: Student

Re: new 2.0 interface... my two cents

i agree with you. They should keep the tabs and let us rename them like we want.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Carrier: shaw

Disagree, the dots and one favorites bar may take some getting used to be it will make better use of the 7 inch screen. And if you don't like folders don't use them but for those of us that have over 100 apps this really does seem like a great option. It seems like the new os is far more customizable thus you should be able to get it to feel the way you want with just a little tweaking. This allows users to truly individualize their pb.

I do agree with the crashes (browser, pic viewer) these need to be fixed. Though I find if I leave my pb on for a few days (no restarts) they become almost none existant. The open minimized windows view does seem like a step in the wrong direction, this os is being developed for their phone line too...I just hope they don't compromize the pb functionality so they only have to develope one os.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
swyost
My Carrier: Verizon

Personally, this is a classic example of one person's horror is another person's delight.  There is almost nothing in your very long email with which I agree.  I view the new interface as a vast improvement over the old, since it allows me to customize the way I want.  You also seem be touting the simplicity of the old interface but then suggest ways of making it more compicated, even if it might be more intuitive to you.  Ironically, you make a comment about it being like an andoid interface as well (which it is not) and then suggest renaming tabs straight out of android?  I am sorry you don't like it, but that does not make you the ultimate arbiter of what is (or is not) good interface. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lovely_leftovers

tabs and folders colliding with ech other, thats the reason they came up with this mess in the first place

i guess simply not displaying the name of the folder you are in wasn't an option for them

you can switch between displaying tabs and folder title in the same place, thats what i would do

going back and forth between tabs and folders, folders and tabs

totally understandable how things come together, did this for years, the problem is they don't stick with the design, taking all the wrong decisions

its so frustrating being powerless, being someone who wants that puzzle solved

the same with having two 10" versions, same design, same display quality the 7" has, one with cams and microphones and on without, they could sell those two versions for the same price just with and without cams and microphones, nothing fancy, same price

the only thing is to give a choice so they don't get accused of being cheap, for cutting stuff

they could easily be in the role of the reliable guy before win eight is stepping in :Dots:

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

I'm in agreement with swyost.

In OS1, the icons would sprawl over each tab. Using prdefined names was restrictive.

The way the folders and the dock are implemented in 2.0 gives you complete flexibility to use them. I've set up folders in the dock which relicate the tabs feature, and then created folders in the first tab to group apps in a more sane manner.

I've then put a second tab on to have all of my internet bookmarks, which again can be grouped into folders and arranged how I like.

Finally, a 3rd tab for not-often used apps like setup.

The additional tabs are simply a luxury to me. A single tab with the icons and folders would meet most people's needs.

And let's not forget - we can still scroll vertically in each pane and folder on the PlayBook OS - something that I haven't seen in iOS and Android.

Really, this flexibility is only as complicated as the end user makes it.

Yes, tab names might be nice - but not when you can also name folders. I applaud the design team for the decisions they've made in OS2.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lovely_leftovers

[ Edited ]

that is the same thing i want to achieve without butting my eyes through a line of nonsense icons between me and the information, the folder respectively the tab name

its redundant with plain desktops beneath it

folders are like holes you climb in and out, so they made the application dock, in that way you don't have to climb out of the hole you are sitting in if you want to check youre mails real quick, its like having doors on a supermarket shelf you have to open instead of glancing to the rows

and you don't dig yourself holes you not want to be in

do not get me wrong, i like folders, i just don't want do dig in deep, taking myself the opportunity to swipe if i can make a tab instead

in those tabs you can easily have one or two layers of holes, but that is some sort of last resort, you don't want to be in a grave like hole

people easier comprehend with names like having yoghurt, milk and cheese rows next to each other

its a user interface, not a folder tree you organize and bury large amounts of data with

i would totally go with having a bank of smaller app icons on top of those tabs, but with that three dot desktop switch you lose all the yoghurt, milk and cheese thing and people start digging holes :Innocent:

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Carrier: shaw

Just don't dig yourself a "hole" you can't get out of...or don't dig any "holes" .I guess rim can't please everyone. Personally I love the look if the new os and the added functionality. Much like any folder tree it will be completely customizable, with the option to not use it at all. As for the names on tabs, they seem redundant and take up unnecessary screen space. You can tell which tab you are in by the apps contained within.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lovely_leftovers

then why not actually make it fully optional, as always, having a choice will not hurt anyone will it

those dots/desktops/tabs have to be names, not just dots, they have to be renameable and you have to add and remove them in their numbers, thats a really important design feature

put it as "appearance" into the options menu, deliver it with the application dock and tab names enabled on the playbook and maybe without on the phones

two simple on/off switches and you create happiness in both textual and symbolic worlds, for all screen sizes

and specially on the playbook you have more than enough room to put everything written here in place, they don't have to be full tabs like they are now, they totally can be highlighted words like those dots/squares be highlighted

nothing too fancy, easy to create, a few days work, please someone give this to the team responsible :Sweatdrop:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lovely_leftovers

now i had another idea, the random mode for the picture viewer has to be like scrambling cards, like it scrambles the cards in the background randomly when you push the button so you be able to swipe back and forth in that deck of cards like you do now, with the same predictable result

if you push the button again you be back in the normal order they are named with, going on from where you are

they have to be scrambled completely different each time you push that button

and you have to switch it on and off with a button like the loop button is in the video player

maybe me being in my bed with a fever and this playbook thing leading us somewhere useful :Shifty:

Please use plain text.