Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry playbook 16gb
My Carrier: tesco

playbook charging from flat no red lights

hey guys, have been reading through the posts about charging the playbook and all the post seem to mention flashing red lights, well the other night (late) my wife was playing a game on the playbook and it went off the screen had the red battery symbol and then shut down. the following morning connected the playbook to the power supply but there was no flashing red lights so i left the charger plugged in all day later i went to switch it on and nothing happened any one help? it is running the up to date version of the software.

Solutions: 6,259
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: playbook charging from flat no red lights

Leave it to charge and WITH it connected to the known working wall outlet charger, press the power button AND the UP volume button simultaneously (hold them both down) for about 20 seconds.

Do you see ANY LED activity. What do you see?

Read this:  Article ID: KB27705 BlackBerry PlayBook Power - Battery charge and discharge characteristics

Particularly this part:

If the battery is in ‘seal’, meaning at 2.8 volts, then it will take on the order of an hour with the charger attached before high charge will start. The PlayBook can reach a point much below 2.8 and can take up to 3 hours to reach "high-rate" charging (see overview for details) 
The optional 12 volt (rapid)chargers are faster than the USB chargers so the charge time should be approximately 3-4 hrs.

The amount of current the device is consuming while charging affects whether there is a net charging effect or not.

• With the PlayBook off or in standby mode even a 500mA source can charge the device, but it will take more than 12 hours.  

If, after charging the Tablet for 4 - 6 hours still results in no LED's, attempt to force power on the Tablet by pressing and holding only the Power Button for only 20 seconds.

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

hi thanks for the info but have bought an after market 2100ma charger it has been on charge all day no lights are showing no nothing have tried to hold power vol+vol- for 15 secs and nothing have connected to the laptop windows can't find anything......stumped

20 seconds, not 15 Smiley Wink

also, just keep trying. I had to go through all this as well...

Try another PC with the latest v7 Desktop Software installed.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

tried now a few times for 20 seconds and nothing no led blinking got nowt here mate

New Contributor
My Device: playbook

and this?

JSanders wrote:

Try another PC with the latest v7 Desktop Software installed.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

downloaded the lastest version from rim and still nothing

killaspam wrote:

and still nothing

Ok, then good luck. I can't help with responses of "still nothing".

I don't know what that means, quite frankly.

If you can post detail of what you are actually doing, what failed, what you say, any error messages, etc., let us know. Otherwise, there's nothing we can do to overcome not knowing exactly what you're attempting.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

i am sorry if i sound arogant but am gettin so worked up over this playbook...

yesterday after reading throuugh so of the posts on here i downloaded v7 desktop software but when i connected the playbook to the laptop the software could not dectect a device but i did try to diagnose the conection and it said make sure there is charge in the battery.

a few months ago i purchased a rapid charge docking station (which my daughter broke) but it was under warrenty and the replacement has arrived today.

left the playbook on charge for about 4 hours came online to see what stack charging was all about and have tried this which lead me to create my post.

have tried holding the three buttons on the top for twenty seconds but the charging light does not do anything it remains off.

have also tried holding the power button only for 30 seconds and the charge light still wont light up for the 15 secs.

like i said am sorry about the one word answers but am getting annoyed with the playbook as my wife has a brain condition and relies on the playbook for social networking and she has a lot to do with chiari sufferes around the world.