Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
gigiks
My Device: bb playbook

Re: playbook os 2.1.0.840

i have removed the email accounts and my battery is back to where it was. thanks for the tip...

will recreate one account at a time and see how it goes...

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

That's a great suggestion Jarviser.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
F1JB
My Device: Curve 8900 & Playbook

When first set up my PlayBook I inadvertently created email accounts on a domain (for business account ) and bb bridge for same accounts. I had two different apps delivering the same emails which I now believe was over demanding on battery. Suspect that domain account was continually updating whenever a connection was available? 

Having taken advice above and disabled domain accounts and just used bb bridge for past two days, I have noticed a significant drop in battery drain. So thanks to above contributors for advice.

Jon B.

PS. Drop the screen brightness too, that will help, think about how quick a conventional torch drains if left on!

Contributor
LionelSchotter
My Device: Torch 9810, Playbook 32GB

The only negative experience I have had to date (given that I have only been running the beta for 2 days now) is that the device will no longer charge via usb when connected to the PC (I get a message that the it cannot charge via the power source - something that was never an issue prior to loading the beta but not a train smash). All my apps work and the fact that each android app now runs in its own instance is a massive plus  - although I am yet to see what happens if one of them goes awol and hangs and if that impacts all the rest as it currently does in the production 2.0.x releases which requires a hard reboot to resolve. Overall I believe I have noticed a slight improvement in performance of the standard native apps such as the unified inbox, calendar, browser etc. A further big plus for me is that it seems more stable when changing between wireless profiles, bridge mode etc. In the past it would connect to all my different wi-fi profiles as I moved between locations but the mail and calendar apps would eventually stop connecting to the accounts and the only fix was to reboot. In addition I would experience the same issue if I switched to Bridge only in an area where I have no wi-fi and then went back to a wi-fi area. I no longer experience these issues which is a fantastic experience for me!

The ridiculously long boot time is still an aesthetic problem for me (when compared to the rapid boot time of the competitive products) but as long as my requirement to reboot as per the issues mentioned above are permanently resolved then I am happy.

I am looking forward to all the additional functionality spoken up in the press.

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

It has always been said on the forum  and in the knowledge Base that USB to PC connection (max 500milliamps) will almost keep up with current usage if PB is in use, and will very slowly charge if on quiet standby (i.e. not streaming etc)  Maybe the 2.1 has an actual warning rather than just the Knowledge Base writeup. 

Since installing this beta I have had the same power warning message

"Unable to charge battery using connected source "  heralded by a ! in the screen header margin.

However it will actually charge if you haver a decent USB port as provided by Apple machines. In fact if you leave it in standby long enough the battery icon will achieve the two pin plug icon like woith the wall charger.

One thing I have noticed with this beta is that the browser frequently drops out for no apparent reason and has to be recovered from the blue browser icon. It's the wife browsing Amazon for stuff and she keeps using foul language every ten minutes or so when it drops out. t least she has discoveed the history button Tried a reboot. 

Tied Simple browser but it  seems not compatible with this beta.

Anyone else find that?

I havent noticed any issues with the browser crashing, but I use it primarily to stream video from my favourite sport site and dont browse Amazon that often. I imagine there is a script running on the site that causes issues.

I noticed an issue last night with the bluetooth audio.

The audio quality is very poor and often breaks up (which was not the case with the production firmware). Moreover if I disconnect my bluetooth headset it doesnt recognise that you have switched to the device audio again until you reboot.

All of these things are to be expected given that this is beta firmware.

If you wish to contribute to the improvememt of the beta then follow the process on the below link and submit your logs to the beta team:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=68673236A6221055A804BE484F0646B7?...

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

That process requires an incident number from BB support team. Not going there. Ther must be a better way surely of feeding back beta findings. I can't even find a beta testing thread in developers forum, unless i missed it. 

Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

There's a beta testing section for the Playbook in the BetaZone.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
LionelSchotter

I can sympathise with the complete avoidance of the BB support team.

The best option then is to register on the BB dev Jamzone then and participate there I suppose.