Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
scottnang
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: aliant

playbook wont connect with usb or charge with regular charger

My pc wont show the playbook as being connected, or recognize the device in device manager, but I can connect wirelessly. Also the charger is not recognized as being attached, and subsequently wont charge. It will charge with the rapid charge stand. I tried multiple usb ports and took it back to the store, where it connected easily with the usb wire. Both the usb connection and the charger were working a week ago,  I dont recall any software changes, and the playbook os is up to date.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: playbook wont connect with usb or charge with regular charger

Try resetting the PlayBook by using the two button reset. Hold down the Power Button and the - volume button both at the same time for 15 seconds and then wait 1 minute then hold the power button only until the red light flashes then release it and wait for the PB to reboot which will be about 4 minutes. Report back the results.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scottnang

No such luck. I will try it again, but nothing changed the first time.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Are you getting any light activity when you connect the charger?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

If the BlackBerry PlayBook is plugged into a power source while powered off it will automatically power on in order to accept the charge.
If the BlackBerry PlayBook is powered off while plugged into a charging source it will not continue to charge.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scottnang

I get no response when I plug in the charger, or the usb cord, either with the playbook on or off.

Should I have gotten a different response when rebooting, as described in the earlier post. All it did was boot up normally, like every other time I have turned it on.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I tried multiple usb ports and took it back to the store, where it connected easily with the usb wire.

Was a different USB cable used at the store?  May be a hint.  If no are you using the back ports on your pc.   I have a feeling it is the usb cable.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras

Lost_at_Sea wrote:
If the BlackBerry PlayBook is plugged into a power source while powered off it will automatically power on in order to accept the charge.
If the BlackBerry PlayBook is powered off while plugged into a charging source it will not continue to charge.

This is not true.  I turn my playbook off and connect to the charging source it stays off.  It doesnot turn on unfilled I press the power button.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scottnang

I didnt watch what they did at the store. I will take it too a different store and see what they have to say.

It seems odd that I get no recognition from either cable out of that connection port on the playbook. It seems more like a physical issue to me.

Thanks for the responses.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras

That is your issue the cable. But a new cable, you just stated it worked at the store. Did you give them your cable? If you did not then there is your answer. Then next time you go to the store don't give them your cable and ask questions.
This is not hard or rocket science but everyone is making it into a difficult situation.
Please use plain text.