Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

power drain - app?

Hello to all. Perhaps someone can help?

I am concerned about the power drain of my playbook. I always have in on charge, but what if I forget and leave it on standby and it drains down? I have read the horror stories of owners attempting to power from a dead battery.  There appears to be no fail-safe cut off before the battery drains away.

Excuse my ignorance in asking the below questions.

Do the owners of Blackberry phone's have the same trouble? Do their phone's switch off before they lose their power, as does and Android, and any other phone's operating system. Basically the message states that the phone is switching off to conserve power and the phone needs to be put on charge.

Is there an app that can be purchased to operate the discharge of the battery?

Is there any apps being written for such a thing.  I think every owner of a Playbook would jump on the app to purchase if it were available.

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

Re: power drain - app?

No developers out there?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Not a Dev but I have some advice...

1. Before entering Stand By mode (clicking on the battery icon and selecting) click on the gear icon and select Airplane Mode (under About) and then swipe to set this feature to on.
  2. Close screen
  3. Then enter Stand By mode.

This will terminate your Wi-Fi connections and Bluetooth connections if they're on. These are the two biggest "drains" on the PlayBook (besides the screen itself). I think people don't realize that when they put their tablets into Stand By that the radios and their connections are still chugging away pinging servers and doing whatever it is they do. Apps are still running in the background even..The only thing this really does is prevent a full reboot and keeps the screen off.

So by doing this one simple thing (granted it is a bit of a PITA but it is VERY useful) your battery issues will cease to be a problem unless you willfully let your tablet's charge level get below a suitable power threshold.

Try it for a day and let me know what you think...

By the way, I haven't let my cellphone (Torch 9810) ever discharge all the way down to find out if it auto shuts down or not so I can't answer what actually happens.

I do think a setting could be coded into the PlayBook's OS that you had some control over. I don't see this happening before BB OS 10 and we don't know how that will work until it launches.

An application would be helpful but not required in my opinion.  

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

Thank you Chaos Design for your comments. As suggested I already do saving. I read it in one of the other posts on my first day of membership. My concern was for all the other PlayBook owners who have not read your suggestion.

Is there a developer's forum?

Regards from the uk

Ross

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Ross, there are several development forums, http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Developer-Support-Forums/ct-p/blackberrydev

I can't tell you which one specifically to use. Seems a little "all over the map" in my opinion.

Please use plain text.