Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
notam
My Device: playbook
Accepted Solution

price protection

I am considering buying a Playbook, but am a bit leery in the context of recent price gyrations. What protection does one have if the price should fall within a reasonable time (say, six months) after purchase? Will RIM refund the difference? Thanks,
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Re: price protection

In short: you have zero protection. But with the current prices and the upcoming OS 2.0 update, that shouldn't stop you.

In fact I find it kind of weird that people demand refunds if half a year after their purchase the price drops. You were willing to pay that much for the product and products tend to decline in value as time passes. Those are the facts. Just keep your eye open for potential rumors about price drops, but besides that, just buy what you want to have if you can afford it. 

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note

Don't expect RIM to offer any price protection same like you won't expect Apple or any other tablet manufacturer to do so.
The best you can expect it the price protection offered by retailers like BestBuy or Futureshop (in Canada) when an item goes on sale within a certain time after you purchase and you can get a rebate for the price difference.
Since the PB is currently on sale it is unlikely that the price will go down any lower unless RIM wants to drop the product (like the HP Touchpad) or introduce PB2.

BTW we are talking about a product that is already half the price and costs you a couple hundred bucks not like a vehicle costing $15-30,000. You likely won't vet any price protection on a vehicle once the sa,e is over.

If you like the PB then now is the time to get one or else get an iPad or Andriod tablet at twice the price.
DC-IT
Contributor
notam

Thanks zezke, I get what you say and do not disagree. But, three months ago there was a pricing, two months ago there was a short-term sale pricing, now there is a different pricing; it should not surprise if people wonder what's next. Most retail outlets give you 30 day price protection. I was just wondering where RIM stood on this issue.
Contributor
notam

Thanks dc-it.
JSanders
Solutions: 6,030
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

notam wrote:
 Most retail outlets give you 30 day price protection.

Then ask your retailer what their policy is... right?

notam wrote:
 I was just wondering where RIM stood on this issue.

They're not offering any refunds.

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the EULA and message upon registration.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code