Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
rhenner
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Accepted Solution

problems with plain text (.txt) files

I recently needed some tech. info to be loaded on my PlayBook (OS2.1), but I found that I could not open the files when on location. I had downloaded PlainTextEdit and several others, and have Ghost Commander file manager (which claims to be able to open text files, but none of the apps could find the files - they seem to be searching a different location from that used by the built in File Manager app - which sees the files, but can't locate a program to open them (I had transferred the files both from my Mac desktop and through DropBox).

Does anyone know why this is happening?

I have since taken to putting files on as PDF's, which works fine, but I'm still concerned that there are apps on my Playbook that are searching unknown locations.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: problems with plain text (.txt) files

use the Air Browser app (free) to see the folder structure of your PlayBook.

with that app, copy a text file in every single folder you can (including nested ones), give each file a different name.

At some point, your apps will see one of those files.

I know, you're not Hercules, there may be a faster way (like contacting those apps support), but my method will work 100%.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Files & Folders has a handy text viewer. Take the free trial version for a spin to see whether it suits your needs:

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rhenner

Thanks Xandrex!

Air Browser showed me the Android files that the other apps were searching - I can now move my files into that location. Still seems like a strange way to work, but at least i can manage things now.

Xandrex wrote:
use the Air Browser app (free) to see the folder structure of your PlayBook.

with that app, copy a text file in every single folder you can (including nested ones), give each file a different name.

At some point, your apps will see one of those files.

I know, you're not Hercules, there may be a faster way (like contacting those apps support), but my method will work 100%.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rhenner

Thanks for the suggestion Innovatology, I'm going to work with Air browser for now and see how I get on...

Innovatology wrote:

Files & Folders has a handy text viewer. Take the free trial version for a spin to see whether it suits your needs:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

rhenner wrote:

Thanks Xandrex!

Air Browser showed me the Android files that the other apps were searching - I can now move my files into that location.

can you tell us the folder location for each of those two apps ?

Maybe it would be nice if it was displayed in the help section of each of those two apps?

Do you think you will contact those two  developers ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rhenner

Air Browser showed me the Android files that the other apps were searching - I can now move my files into that location.

can you tell us the folder location for each of those two apps ?

Maybe it would be nice if it was displayed in the help section of each of those two apps?

Do you think you will contact those two  developers ?

Hi Xandrex,

What I see in AirBrowser is the normal file structure as shown by the built in file manager app, PLUS a directory called Miscelaneius, which contains a directory called 'Android', which is what the other apps (I assume they are both Android ports) search - they don't seem to be able to see the regular Playbook file structure.

Using AirDrop as you suggested, I am able to copy my files into this Android file structue, and work on them.

It would be very nice if Android ports could read the correct file structure, or at least warn users in advance, but as I am not likely to need any more apps, I won't bother to contact the developers about correcting this - even if they can, given the BB OS's emphasis on security.

Thanks again for your help,

Rhenner

Please use plain text.