Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: No Playbooks Allowed In Ireland
My Carrier: Not relevant

"BlackBerry PlayBook should not be available in the Republic of Ireland"

DO NOT BUY A BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK IF YOU LIVE IN IRELAND BECAUSE IT WILL NOT WORK AND BLACKBERRY WILL NOT HELP ANYONE IN IRELAND.

HERE'S MY STORY ("HAVE A GREAT DAY!"):

This is the complete message I sent (with a lot of difficulty) to "Blackberry Support" on 3 September 2012:

"I have just received my Blackberry Playbook bought online from PC World in Ireland, where I live. I cannot setup the unit because Ireland does not appear in the list of countries for the Agreement. 

In order to register my product I have the same problem: Ireland does not exist as an option. In order to register my product and send this message I was forced to choose "UK" even though I live in Ireland, which is a totally different country.

Please tell me how to get past the Agreement screen on my Playbook." 

This is the complete reply I received from "Brad" at "Blackberry Customer Support" (about 6 hours later):

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support. We are pleased to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to setup or register the BlackBerry PlayBook in Ireland.

At this time the BlackBerry PlayBook should only be available in Northern Ireland (aka the United Kingdom). The BlackBerry PlayBook should not available in the Republic of Ireland, at present. 

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us either by replying to this message or by calling us at one of the numbers below. 

I will be pending your case for the next two (2) days, at which time I will email you to see if the problem is resolved. 

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
Brad
BlackBerry Customer Support
Research In Motion Limited 
Tel:
Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
Web: www.blackberry.com

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9790, BlackBerry PlayBook 64Gb, BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: MTS

Re: "BlackBerry PlayBook should not be available in the Republic of Ireland"

Hi ForIreland,

I did not quite understand, your PlayBook does not work at all? Or just you have found yet another reason for trolling?
Respectfully,
Oleg

Developer, QNX RTOS, BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook
Follow me on Twitter (in Russian)
St.Petersburg BlackBerry Dev. Group
New Contributor

Oleg, it's really very simple if you read carefully what I posted.

In order to get the Blackberry Playback working, the new owner first has to
register an "Agreement" which can only be completed if you live in certain countries named in a menu. Ireland does not appear in that menu so therefore it is not possible to use the Playbook in Ireland. The machine just stops at that point and no further functions are available.

When I asked for "support", I was told – as it clearly states in my posting – the "Blackberry Playbook should not be available in the Republic of Ireland". The quotation marks mean that I am directly quoting from the reply, which I provided in full.

I posted this in order to help others in my beautiful country Ireland, to which Blackberry does not want to sell Playbooks.

This has nothing to do with "trolling", I am simply stating the facts, and this is my first posting on this forum. It is certainly not "another reason for trolling". I realise English is not your first language, Oleg, and I respectfully suggest you look up the correct meaning of "trolling" and read posts more carefully before making false accusations and irrelevant comments that detract from what is important.

The important point here is that Irish people are being told not to buy the Blackberry Playbook, even though it is now available from PC World/Curries in Ireland at a discount! 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

If you go to us.blackberry.com you will find Ireland in the list of countries to dispay availability and prices. That guy from RIM is an 1diot.

As for it not being in the list of countries, I suspect there is only one Cyprus despite it being partitioned and there will be many people with history who are offended by the many oversights of our friends over the pond, but if there really is no Ireland or Republic of Ireland  I suggest you put in UK and enjoy the playbook. It will take months for them to fix it if it is really missing.

At £109 for the 16GB from PC World (about 75 bucks) who can resist??

[ Edited ]

I apologise you are right, if you click on Europe then Ireland you get UK and offers in £.

I am also offended to be included in "Europe"  In terma of geography RIM are 1diots, but they are still nice cheap tablets.

Jarviser, I am simply stating the facts about Blackberry not wanting people in Ireland to buy the Playbook. I know it is hard to believe but, I'll say it again, Ireland is NOT in the list of countries in the Blackberry Playbook setup menu. Therefore it is NOT possible to setup the Playbook as a resident of Ireland. Jarviser, you are totally wrong to assume that the only country not listed is Cyprus and your questioning of my facts is not appropriate.

Yes, it does sound unbelievable but Ireland (Eire, Republic of Ireland, Irish Republic) is also NOT in the list of countries where the new owner can legally register the product. The so-called  "Blackberry Support" is ONLY available AFTER the product has been registered – which is why it was difficult for me to even get a message to "Support" at all.

A few Irish customers may be willing to register using a false address in the UK or another country but, as well as being totally against the moral principles of many Irish people, it would also mean potential legal and practical problems with returning faulty products, guarantees, etc.  

On another moral point: Blackberry is selling Playbooks to PC World/Curries in Ireland, knowing that they cannot be legally registered and knowing that many customers will simply not be able to setup and use the Playbooks at all because they can't get past the initial setup and registration process. The only option for many people will be to return the Playbook to PC World/Curries for a refund, after a lot of frustration and disappointment with Blackberry.

As a PR exercise, Blackberry is really shooting itself at a time when it already has lost a lot of customers to rivals and is in serious financial difficulties. Whoever is running Blackberry needs to wake up to the real problems the company is facing, including this dishonest selling of Playbooks in Ireland. Do any of them ever even read these forums? 

New Contributor

Jarvis, I'm glad you now believe me that Ireland is not in the list of countries available for the Playbook. Your apology came while I was typing my reply. Thank you.

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

Yes I went from them only having one 1diot to a whole team (Why does this forum bleep out 1diot?? perfectly good abusinve term)

I can see a considerable obstacle to using UK because all App World purchases will be in UKP, so you may be advised to use France or Germany to get that funny money you Europeans use  ;-)

Did you look for ROI?

[ Edited ]

Jarviser, as I indicated in my last reply, I looked for all possible listings of Ireland including "ROI". Please believe me, Ireland is definitely NOT in the list of countries in which the Blackberry Playbook can be setup or registered. If you read carefully my whole posting you will see this fact has actually been confirmed by Blackberry itself.

I'm glad you understand that the currency is different in Ireland from the UK. However, the term "funny money" is not really funny when Blackberry take it from Irish customers under false pretences, knowingly selling them a product that cannot legally be setup and registered in Ireland.

Blackberry will perhaps one day learn that deceiving and upsetting even just one Irishman is really not good for their business! 

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

Oh I agree with you 100% on the key issue, though starting your first post here with a rant and bleeps will attract less helpful responses usually.

You need to develop a sense of humour on here.

And Euros are not funny either, I agree.

Where did you buy it incidentally? Name and shame that retailer. Was it a Curry's PCW shop in ROI?  You need to take it up with them too.

EDIT:

Here we go  http://www.currys.ie/action/searchsite/playbook  looks like they are available in Ireland to me! Either Currys or RIM are talking through their posteriors.