Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: "unable to charge battery with connected source"

[ Edited ]

cornerofart wrote:

I have same this problem
Any body have any solutions????
Please

You have tagged onto an ancient thread. Things have happened since july 2011! It was OS 1

That message in os 2.1  is now issued when trying to charge from a source with insufficient power such as a pc usb socket.

Good news is the charge source is recognised. Try the original charger. 

________
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: att

Not so fast Troy...

I have the Playbook 64GB, OS 2.1, always up-to-date, have had it for over a year, charged via wall outlet AND USB on plugged in laptop at least a dozen times and I'm now getting the "unable to charge battery with connected source" error.

I have restarted the computer and the Playbook several times, changed USB outlets, changed USB/Playbook connection cable twice, and other than PC, printer, and Playbook... nothing else is connected to power strip and still get the message.

I have yet to see any forum answer this problem but multitudes that pile on comments that they too have the problem.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never said you can't charge on USB, it is possible on some computers, especially new Macs.

All I said is the message, if you get it, is new with 2.1 and before that there was no message.

The manual clearly says you should not use USB however. 340mA or even 500mA on newer USB outlets is too low

________
Contributor

I'm not sure why you're insulted.  You've obviously misread my post.  I never thought you said it could not be charged on a PC.  Not sure where you got that from.  I was saying that I have charged mine a dozen times via the PC's USB ports and suddenly now it won't work.  BTW: After the upgrade to 2.1, it still charged via USB/PC several times.  It just doesn't anymore.

I also read every word in the manual so thanks for pointing out the obvious but the Playbook I have came with the USB cable and always charged it while being connected, whether I used the desktop software or not.  That was my point.  Again, if you've somehow read my last post as some stab at you, you read it wrong.  The only reason I even care about this issue is because a company that makes a product shouldn't offer features that are useful and then eleminate that feature.  My iPod hasn't stopped charging when connected to the computer.  There's no reason to eleminate that option.  Why downgrade quality when people love the product as is?  Illogical!

Super Contributor

I wasn't  insulted or even mildly upset.  

Anyhoo, I think we are agreed - despite the manual (and the ipod manual also tells you not to use USB on a computer to charge it, bizarrely) and despite the new message, it does usually take a net charge, so lets agree to ignore both. 

________
Contributor

Yes, universal serial bus is not my strong suit.  I'm still trying to figure out why every device I plug in tells me it could run faster but offers no way to disable that bubble message or upgrade to run faster.  It's an anomaly.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

KB27705

Read the very last paragraph on the page.

Unable to charge battery with connected source

This message is displayed because the voltage provided is insufficient for charging. The USB voltage is limited to 384mA even if the maximum tolerance is 500mA. The voltage is limited to 384mA by design to avoid violating the USB specification which states USB devices cannot draw more than 500mA from the USB port.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Ripley2010 wrote:

Yes, universal serial bus is not my strong suit.  I'm still trying to figure out why every device I plug in tells me it could run faster but offers no way to disable that bubble message or upgrade to run faster.  It's an anomaly.

The message is because you have usb 1 or 1.1 socket with a usb 2.0 peripheral device. (or even a usb 2.0 socket with a usb 3.0 device may now give that message?)

How old is the computer with this usb socket?

@chaosdivine, Macs deliver the full 500mA and are not limited to 340. However I have scoured the USB spec (admittedly only on Wiki) and can't find any cited limit of 384mA in there. Where did you find that info?

My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jarviser wrote:
@chaosdivine, Macs deliver the full 500mA and are not limited to 340. However I have scoured the USB spec (admittedly only on Wiki) and can't find any cited limit of 384mA in there. Where did you find that info?

The 384mA is not a limitation of the USB port, but an artificial limitation (by design) in the PlayBook charging system. The charging system is quite capable of limiting how much current it draws from the source, and in this case it chooses to limit itself to a value less than what the source is truly capable of providing.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

using a charge only cable can allow more current on USB if your mother board supports it.

Differences between a USB charge only cable and a data charge cable

You can mod yours for a test but some need pins shorted

http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Charge-Cable-Hack/

or buy one that is labeled charge only

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V