Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: "unable to charge battery with connected source"

[ Edited ]

jarviser wrote:

Ripley2010 wrote:

Yes, universal serial bus is not my strong suit.  I'm still trying to figure out why every device I plug in tells me it could run faster but offers no way to disable that bubble message or upgrade to run faster.  It's an anomaly.

The message is because you have usb 1 or 1.1 socket with a usb 2.0 peripheral device. (or even a usb 2.0 socket with a usb 3.0 device may now give that message?)

How old is the computer with this usb socket?

@chaosdivine, Macs deliver the full 500mA and are not limited to 340. However I have scoured the USB spec (admittedly only on Wiki) and can't find any cited limit of 384mA in there. Where did you find that info?

I found that info in the official RIM KB article I linked to...please recheck my post for the actual link (very first line of post). It comes from their own Knowledge Base documents. Last paragraph on the page.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB27705

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ripley2010
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB

Well you know, I thought of that because that just makes the only sense I could figure but this bubble message seems to occur on every computer I have (one being 3 years old, one being 6 months old, and one being 5 weeks old), but that doesn't seem to be the case.  The 3 year old has 2.0 USB and all settings seem to confirm this... the 6 month old has 3.0 USB as well does the brand new one and all settings seem to confirm this, but that sweet bubble nonetheless pops up every time.  I've also responded to clients with this issue so I did some research and found plenty of folks running Windows 7 and higher on computers 1 year old or less on the web complaining.  According to the answers I've found is online... there is no answer.  Techs claim to me that it is a bug in Windows that Microsoft has shown little interest in resolving, so I've simply taken for granted that it may or may not be resolved in the future. 

It's not especially annoying and I see no substantial decline in transfer rate using USB on machines that prompt that message, but it does make me wonder at times if finding a fix might not reveal an unrealized speed or smoothing out of my file transfers.  <shrug>  It's just one of those strange little confusions I sometimes encounter when utilizing computer technology that I cannot readily explain.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ripley2010
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB

Thank you all, I really appreciate your expertise on this.  So, the voltage is limited to 116mA less than it can safely handle for many... presumably to prevent folks from a hazardous use I suppose.  That's quite a significant safety net, but whatever.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

chaosdivine wrote:

@chaosdivine, Macs deliver the full 500mA and are not limited to 340. However I have scoured the USB spec (admittedly only on Wiki) and can't find any cited limit of 384mA in there. Where did you find that info?

I found that info in the official RIM KB article I linked to...please recheck my post for the actual link (very first line of post). It comes from their own Knowledge Base documents. Last paragraph on the page.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB27705

Right, I will try to answer your post in the right place now.....

Sorry, yes you did post that, I was looking at the last line of the post not the article!

Seems the 384mA limit is a hair shirt of RIM's own making. 

Curiously the charge symbol has not now appeared whilst the message is shown. Previosly when I used the USB (very rare)  the message was shown, but it charged anyway (during a photo sync) with the lightening symbol. 

HOWEVER using your special modified charge cable (actually Troy's extension cable) with the data wires shorted, the message is suppressed and my Mac is charging with lightening symbol at 2.68Watts (536mA assuming 5Volts supply).

Cool!  Learn something every day. 

My Device: blackberry playbook

I am having the same problem as the other 2 Wall plug to BBPB usb yes BB logo up can plug into computer with usb and computer sees BBPB

But wall plug no lightning bolt and error message

Unit is only 4 weeks old

Is this a major problem with these I like the unit, because wife and I was thinking purchases BB phones  But I am reconsidering. 

BlackBeryy Playbook 32 g

Country Canada , Province Ontario, purchased @ Walmart Leamington

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Light34
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

Hi, I have a similar problem too :-/

With the wall plug I often have no lightning bolt and sometimes I got the "unable to charge..." message... This is pretty random but it happens very often... It's very annoying if you can't charge the playbook whenever you want to :-/

Playbook 32GB purchased 10 month ago on Cdiscount.com (France).

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB

When trying to charge your playbooks, are you leaving them in standby position to charge..do not turn them off, they will not charge then...

Gene
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Light34
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

I don't turn it off when I want go charge it.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

saugen48 wrote:

When trying to charge your playbooks, are you leaving them in standby position to charge..do not turn them off, they will not charge then...

This advice is over 1.5 years out of date.

Since a few months after the launch of the PlayBook, it has been quite capable of charging itself when you plug it in while it's turned off.

(It actually does this by turning itself on, into a special charging mode where the screen stays off, but that's beside the point.)

You can charge a PlayBook that's off, you can charge a PlayBook that's in standby, and you can even charge a PlayBook which has the screen on provided you're using a charger that's capable of providing enough power both for the screen and for the battery (which a regular PC's USB connection is not).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB

Thats odd, because I normally charge mine in the Stby position and one day it was turned off and tried and it didnt charge????

Gene
Please use plain text.