Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Re: "unable to charge battery with connected source"

saugen48 wrote:

Thats odd, because I normally charge mine in the Stby position and one day it was turned off and tried and it didnt charge????

Charging whilst off is the only way you can get the familiar  LED pattern Red then pulsating Yellow then Full green. I turn off to charge when the wife has been surfing for hours on Johnlewis.com til the battery warning gongs for mercy. 

My Device: PlayBook, Z10

saugen48 wrote:

Thats odd, because I normally charge mine in the Stby position and one day it was turned off and tried and it didnt charge????

You may simply have had one of those situations where the charger cable didn't get a good connection. This is fairly common with the rapid chargers on some units, and especially with the "dock" (cradle) charger.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
marmota
My Device: Playbook 32

This is a new issue on my almost 1 y/o playbook. I have been charging in bothe my laptop and desktop computer for over a year and never had an issue. Not being able to charge from any of my computers is just absurd, especially because I was able to do so for the past year! is this a software glitch? an update issue? (running 2.1.0.1314) If I would have known I would have this issue I would have not upgraded!

Talk about doing more harm than good with a minor upgrade!

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

marmota wrote:

This is a new issue on my almost 1 y/o playbook. I have been charging in bothe my laptop and desktop computer for over a year and never had an issue. Not being able to charge from any of my computers is just absurd, especially because I was able to do so for the past year! is this a software glitch? an update issue? (running 2.1.0.1314) If I would have known I would have this issue I would have not upgraded!

Talk about doing more harm than good with a minor upgrade!

Drawing more than 500mA goes against the USB design spec. RIM have decided that they will try to abide by the rules. It should charge from a PC in with Playbook in standby.

It is not unusual.  My ipod manual says "Do not charge from PC USB". 

My Device: Blackberry PlayBook. OS:2.1.0.1526

[ Edited ]

I kinda have the same problem.....I used a usb to charge my playbook the other day and it charged fine. Now when I try to charge it at all,  whether it be through a wall socket or a usb I get the "unable to charge" message and the lightning bolt doesn't show. However when I turn the playbook off and plug in the wall charger the green light comes on and flashes very slowly. I have tried using the charger for my blackberry phone but I still get the message. I am really confused as I have not done anything physically to the charger port. I thought that it might be som thing to do with the playbook thinking the power isn't high enough to charge. Should I back up the playbook and reset everything? I'm running the OS: 2.1.0.1526 can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Acetm
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook. OS:2.1.0.1526

[ Edited ]

I tried hard resetting my tablet but it didn't work so I tried some other stuff and luckily my issue go fixed. This is what I did and I cannot guarantee it will work for you, I'm just stating my experience of how I fixed my problem. The problem was when I tried to charge my PB through the socket plug or a usb I would get the error message, "battery cannot be charged with connected source". However the battery did charge but only by about 1% every 6mins. What I did to try fix it: 1: disconnect the charger and let the battery drain. To make this quicker open some battery consuming apps such as game videos and the Internet browser. 2: once the battery has drained to 0% the playbook will turn off.  3: once it has tuned off properly turn it back on, once again wait for it to turn off.  4: connect charger source preferable a plug socket charger as usb charger are known not to work as well for charging a device and there are different specs of pc, usb ports which emit different levels some some usb ports will not provide enough power to charge the device properly anyway.  5: wait for the PB to gain enough charge to turn back on, once the pb turned back on I found it was charging normally with the lightning bolt symbol.   I again cannot guarantee this will fix your problem but it is what worked for me so I thought I would share.

Please use plain text.