Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: red light flashing twice indicates that battery life was below 20%?

Good description...  here are a few background/supplemental points, though I have no solution for you.

1. Minor point: no need to close your apps manually... doing a shutdown/restart will exit them exactly as if you did it yourself.

2. No idea why RIM said 6-8 hours, as the wall charger can fully recharge a completely empty battery in just over 3.5 hours.  Four would definitely have been sufficient.  (I should know... see my signature lines. :smileyhappy: )

It does sound like you really lost your OS image, but I can assure you it shouldn't be a repeatable event caused by dropping below 20%, or even 10%, or 0%.  Maybe a one-time issue... maybe some bizarre glitch on certain units.  Even possible that for you it will be repeatable: I'd strongly advise a repeat test before you get far, since if it happens again you should definitely be requesting an RMA and having them replace your unit.

Would be nice if they'd provide some easily found documentation about what the specific "red flashing N times" and green light patterns mean.  I believe green pulsating means charging, but to be honest I've almost never recharged with the device turned off, so I haven't paid much attention to the LED.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kandwsmom
My Device: Playbook tablet
My Carrier: at&t

Great!!! I'll give it another try this afternoon and see if it happens again.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

kandwsmom wrote:

Excellent choices.  I'll post the entire "situation."  I could try toubleshooting it again to see if the situation repeats. I haven't had time to put it all back together again anyway.  I can try later this afternoon and repost the "test."

My battery got down to 10%, so I closed all applications and shut the machine off.  I plugged into the wall charger and left.  Four hours later I came back and the green light was on. (RIM stated I should have waited 6-8 hours, but I can't understand why green doesn't mean go.)  I simply unplugged and turned the machine on.  It started normally, but after the Blackberry screen with floating bubbles, it turned itself off and I had the red light flashing twice.  After that, there was nothing.  I tried the power button, the hard reset, plugging back into the wall charger.

I googled my specific problem "red light flashing twice," and found a small 3 entry posting about it.  These others had to reload the OS.  Whether or not, my OS image was there, I'm not sure.  When I plugged into the USB all the drivers were missing, and the Blackberry software didn't recognize my device.  The Blackberry software options were retry or update the OS.  Retry didn't work after several tries, so I did the update which was the same version of the OS that I had on it before.  After that, it was like opening it up brand new.  I had to reconnect the wifi, sign in and all that jazz. 

Fortunate outcomes were that App World had my downloaded applications I just had to reinstall, and update all the old ones.  Nothing I had saved inside an app worked, except the Kobo books did download my books once I logged into my account.  My files and pictures were gone and I'll have to put those back on.  I hadn't dowloaded any music files so I can't speak to that functionality.

As far as the music purchased thru the music store you can download them 3 times.  i exceeded but sent an email to 7 digital and explained the security wipe.  they reset my licenses.  Now I copy and paste my music onto a computer hard drive.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kandwsmom
My Device: Playbook tablet
My Carrier: at&t

Could not repeat inital problem with the disappearance of the OS when running battery down past 20%.  I've run it down 4 times now with no recurrence.  Not sure what really caused the loss of the OS.  It's a mystery to me at this point.  Just hope it doesn't happen again.

Please use plain text.
Smartron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

Re: red light flashing twice indicates that battery life was below 20%

[ Edited ]

Mines dead. RIM gave it to me because I am an Android developer so I am not upset. I am a bit dismayed. I am leaning towards they have a really big problem they can not fix side of the story. I expect reloading it will get it running again. If I get it working I will let you know. Feel free to contact me directly.

Richard Bradley Smith

AndroidCommand.com

Samsung Galaxy Nexis Android 4.0.2

<Personal Content Removed>

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Smartron wrote:

Mines dead. RIM gave it to me because I am an Android developer so I am not upset. I am a bit dismayed. I am leaning towards they have a really big problem they can not fix side of the story. I expect reloading it will get it running again. If I get it working I will let you know. Feel free to contact me directly.

Richard Bradley Smith

AndroidCommand.com

Samsung Galaxy Nexis Android 4.0.2

<Personal Content Removed>

Contact you directly about what?

You do realize the thread you've posted in is about six months old?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
amwon
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

My playbook has very weird problem, the battery won't charge or I should say it stops charging, it can boot and work normally only if I plug it with the wall charger even it shows the battery is 0%,  the battery life indicator jumping between 0% and 100% every 5 seconds. RIM had repaired my playbook 6 month ago, and it just worked for 2 month the same problem happened again. I was updating it with the charger plug in, it was working fine until the update require restart, I click restart, it shutdown but won't boot up, and now I see the red light flashing twice every 5-6 seconds for the first time. Only I can do is keep it plug with the wall charger and hope it may boot up again. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Sounds like internal hardware, most likely battery strap dry joint. If you are capable,b prise off the back with a plastic tool and remove the two screws holding on the battery strap, clean and replace, it may fix it.

Warning: Warranty will be void and you may break it permanently. 

My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

I'll try that. Thanks.

Please use plain text.