Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Playbook wifi 64GB
My Carrier: none

relatively large video file problems

Videos larger than about 4GB don't seem to get converted properly by the desktop app when syncing to the playBook.

I have done a fair bit of testing and the file size seems to be the common denominator of the problem. In other words, its not a problem of what file types or codecs are supported, just when the file gets to a certain size when converting, it gets corrupted.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: relatively large video file problems

Hey Proton2,

When you attempt to synchronize the video file what error message displays? 

What file formats have you tested?

How much free space do you have In the PlayBook?

Can you manually transfer the file to the PlayBook from the PC? (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26068)

Thank you.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook wifi 64GB
My Carrier: none

Re: relatively large video file problems

There is no indication that an error has occurred when the file is synchronized, it just does not appear in the list of videos on the device afterwards. The file created after transcoding and copying to the device is not playable with any of my desktop video players such as Windows Media Player, or VLC Player when I directly access the file via USB or WIFI networking. Smaller than about 4GB files have no problems.
The file formats are .wmv created with Windows Live Movie Maker when converting Windows media Center TV recordings. As long as the file is kept about 4GB or smaller, the BlackBerry synchronize/transcoding works just fine.
I have edited troublesome files to be smaller when using Movie Maker, and they work fine if the generated file is small enough. I have also split troublesome files into, for example, two halves using Movie Maker, and they get converted and work on the PlayBook.I believe that I have tested copying one of the large files that doesnt convert properly, of the .wmv type and it plays on the PlayBook, but I will have to test that again to be sure. I prefer to have the .mp4 format on my PlayBook, and an image from the video shows as the icon for the file instead of the generic icon when it is the .wmv format.
I have the 64GB version of PlayBook, and the last failed conversion there was about 9GB of space, plenty of room left over after copying to the device, as the file was about 4.3GB.