Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
ferni23
My Device: blackberry curve 9300 version 4.0.21
Accepted Solution

tablet won't charge at all

I believe my tablet to be dead. I have the latest updated version. It won't charge at all. When I plug it in to the original charger it came with it will just give off a solid red LED light for about 10 seconds then blink a greenish/yellowish LED about 5 times.

I read that if I connect the charger and let the red LED light go on for the 10 seconds then once it turns off I should disconnect it and reconnect it (do to the fact that the playbook only charges when the red LED light is on) and to repeat this step over and over until the tablet has enough power to charge itself.

I had trouble with that because after about the 5th or 6th time that I did it the red LED light wouldn't come on at all anymore or it would just blink once.

I also read about forcing it to turn on by holding down the power button for 20seconds. That didn't work either.

It has been like this for a few days and I don't know what to do anymore. Can someone help me out here. I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for your much wanted responses!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

Re: tablet won't charge at all

You have tried all the usual simple tricks. Only two left

Call support who are becoming more interested in this growing problem.

Or take the back off, undo the two screws holding the battery connector on, replace, and try again. Knottyrope also has a thread about direct charging the battery whilst the back is off.  This option is only for out of warranty devices by adventurous people with tech skills and the right tools. Look in youtube.

________
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,930
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I'd advise you to keep trying the OEM charger for several hours and while still connected press & hold the power button for 20 seconds. And then keep it on the charger and try again. And again.

Also ditto on calling your Playbook support.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
danthrax
My Device: PlayBook

does your computer detect a connected device when you connect the playbook?

when you connect the charger, look at the end of it that plugs into the playbook...do you see a USB symbol or the blackberry logo?

if the computer detects it, try to reload the software with blackberry desktop software (connect it and click the update option when it says the software cannot communicate with blah blah blah...)

if the computer acts as if you've connected a rock or if it will only plug in with the USB symbol facing up, call support and get an RMA.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ferni23
My Device: blackberry curve 9300 version 4.0.21

When I plug it in the computer detects it but doesn't recognize it

The plug had a blackberry symbol not a usb symbol
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,930
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You need to call your Playbook support number.
www.blackberry.com/PlayBook

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

danthrax wrote:

..... if it will only plug in with the USB symbol facing up, call support and get an RMA.

If you plug it in with USB symbol facing up you have busted it. It should never go in that way up.

I hope that's what you meant!

My Device: blackberry playbook

I tried every tip I could find. Here's what work for me ( The tablet was 100% dead no lights NOTHING ). I removed the cover and disconnected the battery, waited about 30 seconds and reconnected the battery. Placed the tablet on charge using my phone charger for about 3 hours. Put the tablet back together, did the reboot steps (vol up / down and power pushed down for about 20 sec. Red light came on, blackberry logo appeared with home screen. Charge box indicated 0%. But at least I had the tablet working. Placed tablet on charge using factory charger for about 2 hours. Tablet works fine (100% charge ). GOOD LUCK and this will most likely void any warranty you have left. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Theres a thread here with photos.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/PlayBook-Turn-on-but-won-t-charge/m-p/193...

Unfortunately no report of success there. 

It does work in certain circumstances. I think yours is the first success story in this forum.  Thanks!

My Device: playbook 16GB

what is the phone number for support in Alberta Canada?

Please use plain text.