Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

nb1
New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: orange

Re: wif problemsi

Thanks anyway "lost at sea" have to go tosleep now. But will try again tomorrow evening after I made dinner. If that is okay
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Teksavvy

Do you know the name of your network and the password? If you do go to the PlayBook, tap the wifi icon in the top right. In the box that opens, tap the wifi indicator again. Find Saved Networks and delete them with the pencil icon.
When they are deleted, do a reboot of the PlayBook again. This is an important step.
After it restarts, Go back into the same wifi settings and tap on Connect Manually. Enter your Network Name (SSID). Then select the Security Type ( WPA or WPA2 Personal). Select Dual Band, Place check marks at Automatically Obtain IP Address and Allow Inter-Access Point Handover. Enter your Network Password (Key). Tap Save and Connect. Try the PlayBook and let us know.
Forums Veteran I

Sure. I will be here. Its only 4:30 here in Ontario.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm also waiting to hear a solution for this one as I'm having the same issues.  I tried the steps above without success.

Forums Veteran I

So you have done the wifi reboot etc. What router do you have?. How old is it? Did you set it up initially? Are you comfortable in entering the router, changing settings, upgrading the firmware?
New Contributor

Yes, I tried the reboot, etc.  There's 2 boxes, one is d-link (which I think is the router?) and the other Webstar.  Does that help?  The router was just replaced before Christmas as our last one died.  My husband and I fumbled through the setup but got it working.  With instructions I'm sure I can enter the router, change settings or upgrade firmware.

Forums Veteran I

The DLink is the router. I have a DLink DIR-815 Dual Band Router. The PlayBook uses the 5.0 Ghz Band, 802.11n while all other equipment uses the 2.5 Ghz Band 802.11g . I have a writeup on the router and I will look for it and post it here ASAP.
Forums Veteran I

Information on Routers
I suggest you get a notebook and write the router setting in it. Routers themselves have a login name (usually admin) and a password. You should put in your own password. Many do not and you may get past this point just by leaving it empty, and hit enter.
Knottyrope has written a good piece on router settings. Try to find it on this forum, it was available a few days ago.
Here is my ramblings on routers, they may be confusing at the start but it is not rocket science.
Reset your router. Look at your router for a very small hole with a recessed button. Using a ball point pen push lightly on the button. This should reset your modem to factory specs. Your router may have a small plastic tab that is part of the case. Push in on this tab, the reset button is under the tab. If you cannot find these after very close examination of your router, then unplug the router for a few minutes then plug it in again. With a bit of luck you may be able to get your PB to connect. If not continue on below.

When you originally set up your router you had an installation CD. The sleeve that this CD was in has the router password on it. All you have to do is find this CD. If this is hopelessly lost, get the model number, serial number and manufacturer's name, go to the Internet and download the files from there and reinstall. If you cannot find the router password (It can be up to 26 numbers and letters.upper and lower case) it is likely attached to the router itself. Have a look. Write it down carefully exactly as it is and when the time comes to enter it, be careful putting it in exactly as listed.
To access the router settings, you have to connect your PC to the router by network cable. You cannot do this step wireless. You should also use the same computer that was used on the original setup. The first thing you have to do is to obtain the Router IP Address. Different router manufacturers use a default IP Address. You can find this on the manufacturer website. Once you get the router IP Address, go into your computer that is connected to your router, open the browser and enter the router IP Into the address bar. It will open the Administration Page for your router and you can look around at the different pages. IP Address for DLink Routers is 192.168.0.1. This is their default setting.

First find the Firmware Update for your router. It's just a software update. Make sure you find the correct Firmware for your model router. Then click download. This will only take a minute or two. The router will reboot afterwards. After the Firmware has been updated, look around for the Wireless Settings Page. Opening this Page will show you all the available settings you can change. It is important that you write all these settings down in a notebook for future use.
The reason you can't get into your router is that when you initially set it up, you set it to keep everyone out and this includes you. Congratulations you did a good job. Now getting in may be the hard part. If you know your network name, and your network password, try entering it into the PB And hope that the door opens and let's you in. To do this step, tap on the wifi symbol on the top right of the PB screen, next to the battery symbol.Make sure the wifi switch is ON, tap the wave symbol again and this should open a box showing all the wifi signals that the PB is picking up. Scroll down the list to see if your Network Name is listed. If it is, tap on the name and select CONNECT. Another box will open asking for your password, the 26 number and lettering discussed above. Carefully enter the number without spaces, enter letters upper and lower case exactly as listed on your router. Tap Connect and Save. My network uses WPA Personal. It requires a SSID (Network Name) which must be the same as you set up on your laptop. It also asked for the 26 alphanumeric code.

If this fails, you will have to do the following: When you set up your network, your computer saved the Network Profile. You will have to start installing a new network profile. First delete the old profile because it will keep interfering with the operation. When redoing the new network profile, give it a different name than you had for the previous profile.
To do this go to your computer, Control Panel, Click on Wireless Network, Right click Properties, Click Wireless Networks Tab, Highlight your network name, Click remove. Reboot your computer,
New Contributor

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try...but don't expect a response tonight. : )
Forums Veteran I

Once you have been through the wringer once or twice, you can fiddle with it in an hour with plenty of time to spare. Just make notes and if you need more answers, please ask.