01-26-2012 03:05 PM
Let me explain our situation a bit and hopefully someone can shed some light on the issues we are having. Here is our setup...
BES Express 5.0.3 MR2 ( Bundle 21)
Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 SP1
Microsoft SQL Server Standard 2008 R2
Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP2 rollup 6
Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 SP1
I`ve been running this setup( - MR2) since August and it's been going fine.. although I always noticed that the sync doesn't seem to always work bi-directional. Let me explain.
Let's say I get an email in my Outlook 2010, it sync's to my BB without a problem.. I read it and delete it. Email disapears from my BB and my Outlook Client without any issue. But let's say I'll be doing it the other way around and delete a couple of emails in my Outlook client, then most of the time, my bb never sync's the modifications and delete them.
We don't have IT Policies in place or anything that could possibliy block this.. I don't seem to have any issues anywhere either on the Outlook side or the BESX server... so I'm looking for help.. Maybe MR2 didn't help the sync issues, but it certainly didn't cause them... This has been happening since the start. I just finally got annoyed about it and decide to try and fix this.
Is there any specific log file I could check or any other type of setting I could take a look at? Whether be on the Exchange side through PowerShell or on the BES itself.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot ,
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-26-2012 03:30 PM
This will explain a lot about reconcile and hard deletes
KB04863 - Permanent deletion of email messages in Microsoft Outlook does not reconcile to the BlackB...
link in above KB in case you missed it
KB04853 - How to enable hard deletes on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
I have also changed the messages state size to 1000 and it cured 99% of our issues.
The performance hit and RAM increase is almost nil on the BES box.
On Device also double check:
Make sure that Wireless Reconcile is set to On. Sometimes toggling that to off, saving it, then turning it back on.
Messages Options - Email reconciliation -
Delete on Mailbox and handheld,
wireless reconcile = Yes
On conflicts = Mailbox wins.
If still not working and you moved a user mailbox.
Is the user over quota?
01-29-2012 10:55 PM
Thanks a lot for all the different avenues you gave me to look into. I made sure my BB settings themselves we're normal(wireless reconcile, etc).
Secondly, I followed your idea and changed the message state size to 1000 from 100. I did that friday and sadly had to leave for the weekend so I don't know if that fixed all my issues, but by tomorrow, I will be able to do real testing at work.
I will let you know my findings,
Thanks a lot for the help,
02-01-2012 10:29 AM
I am confirming that after almost a week of changing the message state size from 100 to 1000 has fixed my sync issue. Thanks a lot for your input!
02-01-2012 10:46 AM
your welcome, glad to have helped out.
02-02-2012 08:15 AM
Alright, so after more than a week running the message state size at 1000 and the Hard delete reconciliation, a problem surfaced...
A collegue of mine told me that he was sometimes missing some emails(ie: they we're in Outlook but never synched to his BB). That, to me , was a new issue that hadn't happened in the past. So I went back to the Email settings in my BB server and noticed this 6000+ Messages Failed. So I freaked for 2 minutes... and now here I am. First thing I took off was the ''Hard Delete Reconciliation'' as it was an option I was unsure would be stable. I am still waiting for the results from that.. but in your experience, is there something else that could cause all these Failed Messages?
We get some, some don't go through... It seems rather random.
2nd Question would be... Can I force a retry on those emails or are they lost for my BB users?
Thanks for the help!
02-02-2012 10:38 AM
6000 failed is not a good sign, maybe you have a different issue or a new one poped up.
do the messages come onto the phone with a manual reconcile?
02-03-2012 03:11 PM
ok so I tried the manual reconcile on my blackberry and it didn't fix the out of sync problems sadly ... So what I did to make really sure my Failed Messages we're from recently, and not for exampl August when I was migrating everything.. I did a statistics reset and let it run for 2 days. And sadly, I already have 60 Failed messages and on my own BlackBerry I have many out of sync emails.. The only thing I can do right now is restart the services and it works for some time.. then it seems to go back out of sync..
FYI, the server is a Dual Core 3.0ghz with 4Gigs of Ram.. it's a vm so I can modify this at any given moment, but i think the performance of the server isn't the issue here.
Should I change the 1000 to let's say 500? I'm open to any suggestions really. Trying to fix this for my users.
Thanks a lot
02-03-2012 04:20 PM
with out know facts or the sync issue on teh server it self, this might be tough.
maybe better to give support a call
Sign up for free to the BlackBerry Expert Support Center.
All at absolutely no cost to you or your organization!
The BESC gives you a suite of valuable tools, and includes a Complimentary Support Incident should you need to contact BlackBerry Technical Support directly.
03-01-2012 03:46 AM
I was wondering if you get to resolve the issue you were experiencing.
We encounter the same problem with more then 1 installation, were part of the emails are not synchronised properly, after deleting or moving them to subfolders. Changing the database size to 1000 seemed to resolve it for one week as in your case , then problem reoccurs.