Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
My Device: 8800

Compare New Push service and MDS push

With the new Push service, I am trying to figure out and compare it with MDS push.

1. Is the new push service is a replacement for MDS Push?

2. Comparison Push service and MDS push

3. When should I use MDS push and when should I use new push service.

Developer
My Device: Z10

Re: Compare New Push service and MDS push

Hi RIM-Developer-Team!

Thanks a lot for all the great stuff you brought to us java developers within the last days & weeks!!!

Of course when launching new services many people will ask the same questions. Like efrancis i also want to know the difference between the push via MDS-CS and the new Push via the Push SDK.

I read a lot of documents last night but i´m not shure that i understood everything.

You wrote in this PPT that there are different kinds of push services:

Hosted Data Push Services for Consumer Applications

1. Mail (thats clear :-) )
  2. Enterprise through MDS (I think thats the "old" push via MDS-CS - right?)
  3. Web Signals (thats also clear :-) )
  4. BlackBerry Push Service (this is for people which are not connected to a specific BES and also for BIS Users?)

Especially i want to know the difference between 2 & 4. 

Is the new BB-Push Service an alternative to the MDS-CS Push Service -- or is it recommend to switch also in Enterprise solutions (which are now using the MDS-CS Push) to the new BB-Push Service?

Finally my question behind this:

Will the MDS-CS Push available in the future or is it better to plan this switch to the new (and more functional range) BB Push Service?

Thanks a lot for some more informations about this.

Best Regards

Lars.

---

My Twitter:
http://twitter.com/lgentz
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Compare New Push service and MDS push

The MDS - Connection Service and BlackBerry Push Service offer similar features, however they target different users and different applications.

In order to push using MDS-CS the application performing the push must reside within the intranet of the user's BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  This service targets enterprise applications.

The BlackBerry Push Service provides a single server to connect to when delivering a push.  This means consumer applications that run on a public server accessed via the Internet can now make use of BlackBerry Push technology, regardless of whether or not they are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

The BlackBerry Push Service is NOT a replacement to the existing push capability's of MDS-CS.  It is a new service that opens up push capabilities to more applications and more end users.  It takes push beyond the realm of the enterprise space.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker