Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
araskin
My Device: Bold 9900, 9810, 9780, 9650 and so many others
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Confused about BES PUsh and BB10

Hi Everyone,

Today, our server side application does a HTTP Post to a pre-configured BES URL and is able to push an icon to a BB5,6 or 7 device without any issues. The server side application is not Java based and simply uses a HTTP Post to do the push. All is well and our clients are happy :-)

Now looking forward to BB10, it seems that things have gotten much more complex.  The following is my understanding:

1. BES and MDS will not be applicable to BB10 devices since those devices will use the new BDS service. Will this service have an MDS-like interface so we can do a push to the relevant device?

1a. If not, how can we push to the BB10 device?

1b. Do we have to write some sort of Java server or can we continue to use simple HTTP Post like we are doing today with BB5,6 and 7?

Remember, I am only interseted in the BES sceanrio (corporate enterprise devices) and not BIS.

Alon

Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Re: Confused about BES PUsh and BB10

Push API for Cascades is coming now in September (during BB Jam Americas perhaps) and then we will know more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
temps
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: None

Sorry for bumping an old thread..

Any news on this? I'm also wondering if I will have to rewrite our server push app..

Thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
marco_dicesare
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10 can be used to push to BlackBerry 10 devices. It will support existing push initiators and should not require any changes. The Push Service SDK 1.2 also has support to help you push via BES to BlackBerry 10 devices.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I am struggling to get BES push in a BB10 app working, where the BB10 app is a migrated version of BBOS app. 

"It will support existing push initiators and should not require any changes."

Obviously there are changes required at the BB10 end, and I can't get my head around them.  Is there any documentation for this migration?

I have been through the pushCollector program, and even tried it on my Z10 - but when I start it after setting BES, I get error 10002 - which is basically saying there is a problem with the provider id.  But according to the documentation, I should not need to specify one. 

Any hints gratefully received....

BTW, the pushCollector program is running inside my Work perimeter, I have installed from BlackBerry World - Work.

Also I have replicated what i believe to the required functionality in my own Cascades application, and get the same error. I can confirm that it does connect to the push service and the log messages that come at that time do indicate that my application is running in the Work perimeter. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Discovered that if I remove the consumer push permission, "_sys_use_consumer_push", then it works to a point.  I no longer get the 10002, and the sample connects to the Channel, as does my application.  My client application gets the channel id returned which is the same as the device's PIN, which I guess makes sense. 

However the server pushes to either application are ignored.  I suspect we need some sort of different push configuration, or there is a parameter we are not specifying correctly, but nothing we are looking at is telling us there is a problem.  We have looked at the MDS logs, they indicate the push has been delivered.  But nothing shows up at the application end. 

Any tracing hints would be appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
mdandrea

Hi Peter,

Yes, the _sys_use_consumer_push permission should not be used for BES/enterprise pushes for BlackBerry 10.

Have you seen this forum thread?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Push-Development/BES10-Push-Question/td-p/2288267

You need to have a X-Wap-Application-Id header when you send out the push from your Push Initiator.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Matt

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Seen that, and am investigating.

Am also following up on the information in here

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Cascades-Development/BB10-client-can-t-get-BES10-push/m-p/239...

Will let you know how i get on.

Please use plain text.
mdandrea

Great! I also just wanted to clear up one thing about not having to specify an application ID when you create a PushService instance for BES 10.

You don't have to specify one, because it uses a default one which I mention in the http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Push-Development/BES10-Push-Question/td-p/2288267/... thread.

If you don't specify one, it uses this rule for the application ID:

If you look at the BAR file itself for the app it would be in the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file.

You basically would take the Package-Name entry and the Package-Id entry and combine them with a period in between.

Application package identifier = Package-Name + "." + Package-Identifier

You would then need to specify this value in your X-Wap-Application-Id header.

Matt

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Follow-up/related question from a Push newbie: How would I know whether I'm doing "MDS push" or "BES push"? The customer has a BES10 system, but for all I know both options are available to us.

The existing code that we're about to get running in the BES10 environment is working on BIS, using a PAP push. From what I gather I'll need to remove the consumer push permission, but it also looks like I might need this "X-Wap-Application-Id" header, except the threads discussion this seem to say this depends on whether I'm doing MDS or BES pushes, and I have no idea which.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.