Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
swap_chau
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Vodaphone
Accepted Solution

Confusion in sample client side application

Hi,

I am writing a client side app for BB Push. I found a sample code in Push_applications_for_the_BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server-Development_Guide--915141-1116110032-001-US.pdf. There is no mention of App ID, BPS server URL or Push Initiator application URL in this code. I also checked the sample application provided with Push Service SDK. It has got all these things. 

I am confused, whether these things are required or not. Also I read somewhere that client has to register with Push Initiator, is it a mandatory step?

Which code should I implement, for push client working with BB push infrastructure based server?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Confusion in sample client side application

The guide you are referencing iss for Enterprise (BES) push where App ID etc are not required. For BES you only need to push to a port as your BES will already have a path of getting to the target device.

If pushing through BIS then you will need to use App ID and the BPS in order to sent the push through BIS to the device.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
swap_chau
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Do want to say that, if I am using Blackberry Push Infrastucture as PPG, then it is not mandatory to register to the Push Initiator and it will work if the user enters PIN directly in the initiator portal?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

If using the BlackBerry Push infrastructure for push then you will need to have the device register/subscribe in order to receive pushes.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.