Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9800/Blackberry 9530/Blackberry 9700/Blackberry 8530
My Carrier: T-Mobile/Wifi
Accepted Solution

Couple questions reguarding push

Ok so I registered for Push Essentials and got my info back. I got the sample app to register successfully using the demo portal. Now on my server that I will actually deploy the push notifications from I don't have the ability to install anything java related so I would need to port the app to PHP. Can anyone point me in the right direction. My only experince is in BB dev (java). This whole servlet thing is new to me.

If you find this post useful please give kudo's
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Couple questions reguarding push

The following link contains a sample that submits a Browser Channel push using the RIM push format to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. 

This differs from the PAP push that is used to submit a push to the BlackBerry Internet Service, but may help you get started anyway.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devjournals/resources/journals/jan_2005/push_me.jsp

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Is there any plans to update the docs for Essentials? And maybe a sample app. I'm using the push demo in the SDK and my phone recieves the notifications but there really isn't much to get you started.

Documentation for the BlackBerry Push Service and BlackBerry Push SDK is now publicly available here:  http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Push+Service...

Mark Sohm

Developer

I read the docs but am still confused. Would I just use the httppushdemo in the samples as an app. Also reading the docs it says you must remove the subscriber when they uninstall the app. How do we get notifications when an app is removed. Is there a hook script we can run to find out when the app is uninstalled?

Currently an application is not notified before it is uninstalled.  Push Plus provides feedback to the push server application to let it know if the push was successful.  You can use this to find out if the BlackBerry side application was removed.  However, Push Essentials does not offer this feedback.  This means you'll need to build something into your application to accommodate this. 

This means the client application would need to contact your server application to let it know it is still there.  You could have a timer within your application that makes a connection to your server every day, month, week, etc... to let it know it is still installed.  You could also send a specially crafted push message that instructs your client application to respond back to your server with an "I'm still here" type of message.  You could push this out every day, week, month, etc...

If the client application doesn't check in every so often you can assume it was removed.

Mark Sohm

Developer

The reason I'm asking is because in the tech specs https://www.blackberry.com/app_includes/profile/includes/Technical_Requirements.pdf point 9 states "If the subscriber identity module (SIM) of an end user‟s Handheld Product has been replaced Service Provider shall immediately notify RIM and cease submitting Push" and point 12 states "Service Provider must immediately notify RIM when an Application has been uninstalled from a Handheld Product, and shall immediately cease submitting Push Requests to RIM for that particular Handheld Product.". So what your telling me is there is no way to comply with point 12 because listening for a "I'm still here" is not an immediate solution to comply with point 12. and in the techninal requirements the words "Service Provider", "Application" are very confusing. Am I the service provider or the application?

Re: Couple questions regarding push

The Service Provider is the entity submitting the push requests.  The application is the entity consuming the push requests on the BlackBerry smartphone.  It is likely that these entities are the same company, but not always the case.

The service provider needs to stop pushing immediately, as soon as it is reasonably clear that the customer is no longer using the application.  We are working to clarify that within the legal agreement and provide more tools to help automate application removal on both, device- and server-side.  In the meantime the solution is as outlined in my previous post.

Mark Sohm

Developer

Re: Couple questions regarding push

Can you comment on my other post please.