Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Visitor
Beyer
My Device: Bold 9600

General Question: Latency of Push Messages

Hi, I'm new to the forum and blackberry development in general so please excuse my ignorance if this appears to be a silly question.

I was wondering if someone could answer a general question on the delay that could be expected from the time that a push requesdt is generated until the time that it arrives at the device and application.

Some background:

The application that we are considering is one where data security is of primary concern.

The proposed use case we are considering is one where an http request for information is recieved and responded to with an acknowledgement.  This would be followed by an out-of-band push request being sent to the previously registered and confirmed device address with the response. A listener on the device would accept and ackowledge the receipt of the response to the initial query. 

Will the latency that can be expected using the BB push technology result in a user experience that will make this use case appear similar to what can be expected by a traditional in-band request/reply model, or is the push service just to slow, resulting in us having to rethinking this use case.

Any information or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this question  

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: General Question: Latency of Push Messages

Hi Beyer,

What sort of service levels are you expecting? In general push is fairly quick and can send acks after the push is received. It would also depend on if doing push via BIS or BES.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.